Extension of Underdogs Thread MCAT 24 or less

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys! wondering what steps i should be taking in my situation..
cGPA = 3.1
sGPA = 3.2
Strong upward trend (~3.7 in my last 2 years of undergrad with mostly senior level bio courses). I'm hoping i can start a MS in biology from September as well.
MCAT - 497 (126/121/125/125) which i think is ~24. I didn't realize how ESL i was until i started prepping for the MCAT. Bombed the verbal. If i retake it, i'm confident i'll do fine on the sciences but Verbal i have doubts about.
Any input from @user3 or any others?

i thought u decided on the pod path

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA = 3.1
sGPA = 3.2
Strong upward trend (~3.7 in my last 2 years of undergrad with mostly senior level bio courses). I'm hoping i can start a MS in biology from September as well.
MCAT - 497 (126/121/125/125) which i think is ~24. I didn't realize how ESL i was until i started prepping for the MCAT. Bombed the verbal. If i retake it, i'm confident i'll do fine on the sciences but Verbal i have doubts about.
Any input from @user3, @Goro or any others? Should i even bother applying next cycle without retaking the MCAT?

Retake the MCAT, get at least a 505, and get your GPA to around a 3.4. You'll get in somewhere then. As of right now, your chances are slim to get into a DO school. Both of your MCAT and GPA are below average.

You can try applying to the newer schools like BCOM if you want to try your luck next cycle. It seems like their GPA and MCAT averages are 3.5, and 25, respectively.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

26 MCAT, 3.79 GPA. I've applied to the University of Louisville, KYCOM, VCOM-Virginia, and VCOM-SC. I've recently been completed on all 3 DO schools and I've been complete at Louisville for a while now. Hoping that I get in somewhere! Good luck to everyone, I've really enjoyed reading this thread.

cGPA = 3.3 and sGPA = 3.1 (after 4 retakes)
5 LoR (1 MD, 1 DO, 3 upper science prof letters)
EC's (volunteer 300+ hrs in ER and Radiology, 60+ shadowing hours from 2 MD and 1 DO, Italian tutoring as part of Italian cub, philanthropy chair / judicial chair / soccer captain for my social fraternity, one semester "research" giving reading comprehension and writing tests to children ages 3-6, human bio club greek life chair, job every summer during college and prior, couple more things I'm missing probably)

Obviously my chances for upcoming cycle are dependent on MCAT primarily at this point. Been studying hard and looking to score at least 500 but since my low-ish GPA prob need 504+ do have a solid shot. Thoughts/advice?
Cheers.

@Goro

Last edited:
cGPA = 3.3 and sGPA = 3.1 (after 4 retakes)
5 LoR (1 MD, 1 DO, 3 prof letters)
EC's (volunteer 300+ hrs in ER and radiology, shadowing hrs (MD oral surgeon, MD urologist, DO neurologist), Italian tutoring as part of Italian cub, philanthropy chair / judicial chair / soccer captain for my social fraternity, one semester "research" giving reading comprehension and writing tests to children ages 3-6, human bio club greek life chair, job every summer during college and prior, couple more things I'm missing probably)

Obviously my chances for NEXT cycle are dependent on MCAT primarily at this point. Been studying hard and looking to score AT LEAST 502 but shooting for a perfect score.
Thoughts/advice?
Cheers.

I recommend you shoot for at least a 505+ (~28 on old MCAT). You want at least a LIZZY-M score of over 60 to have a decent shot considering your low GPA.

cGPA = 3.1
sGPA = 3.2
Any input from @user3, @Goro or any others? Should i even bother applying next cycle without retaking the MCAT?

Highly recommend you retake. 121 is a red flag to most/all schools already. Also, it would be better if you utilize grade replacement and retake some of those courses to boost up your GPA instead of an MS. Retaking your core science classes will help you do better on MCAT and also boost your GPA more than taking an MS (plus its cheaper).

cGPA = 3.1
sGPA = 3.2

Are you an international student (from your name)?

Retake the MCAT, get at least a 505, and get your GPA to around a 3.4. You'll get in somewhere then. As of right now, your chances are slim to get into a DO school. Both of your MCAT and GPA are below average. You can try applying to the newer schools like BCOM if you want to try your luck next cycle. It seems like their GPA and MCAT averages are 3.5, and 25, respectively.

+1..... Medical admission is getting more competitive.

Highly recommend you retake. 121 is a red flag to most/all schools already. Also, it would be better if you utilize grade replacement and retake some of those courses to boost up your GPA instead of an MS. Retaking your core science classes will help you do better on MCAT and also boost your GPA more than taking an MS (plus its cheaper).

+1...... Don't do the MS.

I've been successful this cycle with a 3.2 cGPA/sGPA. You can too if you ACE the MCAT

Are you an international student (from your name)?

+1..... Medical admission is getting more competitive.
+1...... Don't do the MS.
I've been successful this cycle with a 3.2 cGPA/sGPA. You can too if you ACE the MCAT

Yup I'm Canadian.
Few of my friends got in with ~3.2 cGPA/sGPA as well. I'll just retake a few courses + the MCAT rather than doing an expensive terminal masters.

Yup I'm Canadian. Few of my friends got in with ~3.2 cGPA/sGPA as well. I'll just retake a few courses + the MCAT rather than doing an expensive terminal masters.

Really? That's good to hear! Stay focus and don't give up!