Extension of Underdogs Thread MCAT 24 or less

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's going on underdawgs?

I've perused through so many threads I think it's time for me to finally write a post! Thank you @OsteopathicHopeful for creating this thread and giving encouragement and advice to people who, like me, are underdawgs by medical school application standards! Like the Osteopathic tenets, I hope they stay true to their original philosophy and look at the whole applicant and not just numbers (MCAT GPA). Anyways, here are my stats.

24/3.17
MCAT 8/8/8
Sci GPA 3.26
Non Sci GPA 3.02

Due to a family crisis (2008. . yeah), my first semester at a community college I ended up failing 3 of 4 classes and dropping out. I later went on to graduate from a 4 year with a 3.45gpa, unfortunately that does little to salvage the damage!

24 years old
Degree in Biomedical Science (pre-med) - loads of upper division bio classes - including a medical histology class taught med style by a medical school professor! Only one in the nation quite like it - atleast that's what they told us (that was a hard class) -.-
Advanced Spanish Learning French, Tagalog
~ 100 hrs Child Family Health International - 5 weeks in Quito, Ecuador shadowing physicians in different settings (all in Spanish)
100 MD shadowing hours (peds, OBGYN, family practice, general surgery, opthalmology)
50 DO shadowing hours (rehabilitation, craniosacral OMT)
4 months research assistant (N2A region of the sarcomere)
Intramural sports, Club Med, International Club all 50-100 hours
Joining a volunteer EMT assosiation, free EMT courses but give 144 hours of volunteer EMT time back
Worked at a Fishing Cannery Freshman summer 80hours a week! ha
Study abroad office - dealt with a lot of international people, communicating with different cultures languages a lot
URM - half black/philipino

ATSUKCOM - complete secondary
ATSUSOMA
ACOM - complete secondary
DMUCOM
LECOM erie - complete secondary
LMU
MSUCOM - complete secondary
NSUCOM - complete secondary
NYIT
OUHCOM
PNUHSCOM
PCOM
RVUCOM - complete secondary
UNECOM - complete secondary
UPKCOM
WVSOM - complete secondary

Any advice, encouragement thoughts would be appreciated. First post be nice :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, it looks like I am officially in the same boat (actually a much worse one) than you guys. I got my score back, and got a 21 :(, which was 5 points below what I averaged on the aamcs (also had an upward trend upon reaching 9, 10, 11). I am so frustrated with this test at this point. Anyway, I am going to try to get a January spot to retake it, and I have already started studying again. I applied to VCOM (auburn and carolina), LMU, and WVSOM so far, and think I will leave it there as to not waste more money. I have a 3.6 cgpa, and a 3.18 sgpa with an upward trend following some family issues. I have worked in clinical research for 5 years, and have a bunch of publications, posters and abstracts. I have a couple hundred hours of volunteering. I have shadowed in family medicine, neurosurgery and REI. I do have a DO LOR, MD LOR, and 2 science professors. As a nontrad, I was unable to get a committee letter (DIY Postbac) I am really upset right now, and thought this would be a good place to vent a little. Good luck to you all, I am not expecting much at this point for the cycle.
Venting is totally allowed on this thread:):mad:....So....sorry to hear about your score. Wish you the best and hope you find out how you can do better on the next MCAT

What's going on underdawgs?

I've perused through so many threads I think it's time for me to finally write a post! Thank you @OsteopathicHopeful for creating this thread and giving encouragement and advice to people who, like me, are underdawgs by medical school application standards! Like the Osteopathic tenets, I hope they stay true to their original philosophy and look at the whole applicant and not just numbers (MCAT GPA). Anyways, here are my stats.

24/3.17
MCAT 8/8/8
Sci GPA 3.26
Non Sci GPA 3.02

Due to a family crisis (2008. . yeah), my first semester at a community college I ended up failing 3 of 4 classes and dropping out. I later went on to graduate from a 4 year with a 3.45gpa, unfortunately that does little to salvage the damage!

24 years old
Degree in Biomedical Science (pre-med) - loads of upper division bio classes - including a medical histology class taught med style by a medical school professor! Only one in the nation quite like it - atleast that's what they told us (that was a hard class) -.-
Advanced Spanish Learning French, Tagalog
~ 100 hrs Child Family Health International - 5 weeks in Quito, Ecuador shadowing physicians in different settings (all in Spanish)
100 MD shadowing hours (peds, OBGYN, family practice, general surgery, opthalmology)
50 DO shadowing hours (rehabilitation, craniosacral OMT)
4 months research assistant (N2A region of the sarcomere)
Intramural sports, Club Med, International Club all 50-100 hours
Joining a volunteer EMT assosiation, free EMT courses but give 144 hours of volunteer EMT time back
Worked at a Fishing Cannery Freshman summer 80hours a week! ha
Study abroad office - dealt with a lot of international people, communicating with different cultures languages a lot
URM - half black/philipino

ATSUKCOM - complete secondary
ATSUSOMA
ACOM - complete secondary
DMUCOM
LECOM erie - complete secondary
LMU
MSUCOM - complete secondary
NSUCOM - complete secondary
NYIT
OUHCOM
PNUHSCOM
PCOM
RVUCOM - complete secondary
UNECOM - complete secondary
UPKCOM
WVSOM - complete secondary

Any advice, encouragement thoughts would be appreciated. First post be nice :D
I think you have a decent shot.....DO schools will look at your upward trend and judge from there. Your cultural experiences and Spanish fluency will help as well.
Also your GPA is low but I don't think it will be screened out....

Members don't see this ad :)
sGPA is a little suspect, hopefully they pay attention to your upward trend.

Also vent time, my dad wants me to retake my MCAT and is willing to pay for it... I'm just not sure if I should, dying l seeing how I wouldn't take until at least December and get my score back in later. I called CMed today and they said my app (3 months complete) was reviewed, but not decision made yet. Once again, just gotta be patient !

sGPA is a little suspect, hopefully they pay attention to your upward trend.

Also vent time, my dad wants me to retake my MCAT and is willing to pay for it... I'm just not sure if I should, dying l seeing how I wouldn't take until at least December and get my score back in later. I called CMed today and they said my app (3 months complete) was reviewed, but not decision made yet. Once again, just gotta be patient !

I mean, idk why you didn't retake it in between the cycles.

Well, it looks like I am officially in the same boat (actually a much worse one) than you guys. I got my score back, and got a 21 :(, which was 5 points below what I averaged on the aamcs (also had an upward trend upon reaching 9, 10, 11). I am so frustrated with this test at this point. Anyway, I am going to try to get a January spot to retake it, and I have already started studying again. I applied to VCOM (auburn and carolina), LMU, and WVSOM so far, and think I will leave it there as to not waste more money. I have a 3.6 cgpa, and a 3.18 sgpa with an upward trend following some family issues. I have worked in clinical research for 5 years, and have a bunch of publications, posters and abstracts. I have a couple hundred hours of volunteering. I have shadowed in family medicine, neurosurgery and REI. I do have a DO LOR, MD LOR, and 2 science professors. As a nontrad, I was unable to get a committee letter (DIY Postbac) I am really upset right now, and thought this would be a good place to vent a little. Good luck to you all, I am not expecting much at this point for the cycle.
Also try KYCOM

got a secondary from KCUMB yesterday. feels good because that is one of my top picks.

1) UNMC (MD)
2) Creighton (MD)
3) KU
4) KCUMB
5) DMU

all mostly because they are relatively close. this may change if I get to tour the KCUMB and DMU campuses, but I have a feeling that my decisions will be based on those top 5 if given an acceptance to any of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
got a secondary from KCUMB yesterday. feels good because that is one of my top picks.

1) UNMC (MD)
2) Creighton (MD)
3) KU
4) KCUMB
5) DMU

all mostly because they are relatively close. this may change if I get to tour the KCUMB and DMU campuses, but I have a feeling that my decisions will be based on those top 5 if given an acceptance to any of them.

Keep in mind that kcumb's cut offs preinterview are like 24 ( no score below 7) and 3.25 Cgpa & Sgpa.

Keep in mind that kcumb's cut offs preinterview are like 24 ( no score below 7) and 3.25 Cgpa & Sgpa.
well I just barely met the MCAT requirement then ;)

but i'll take barely meeting! that's the whole idea of this thread right? haha.

I know receiving a secondary isn't like "oh, sweet! now they'll accept me once I send it in", but I can't be interviewed if I don't get a secondary. and if I'm not interviewed I can't get in. so I'm one step closer to a potential acceptance.

keep your heads up you guys!

1) UNMC (MD)
2) Creighton (MD)
3) KU
4) KCUMB
5) DMU

Awesome! I'm excited for ya Bax. I started hearing from schools yesterday, no secondaries but at least I'm moving forward now :)

well I just barely met the MCAT requirement then ;)

but i'll take barely meeting! that's the whole idea of this thread right? haha.

I know receiving a secondary isn't like "oh, sweet! now they'll accept me once I send it in", but I can't be interviewed if I don't get a secondary. and if I'm not interviewed I can't get in. so I'm one step closer to a potential acceptance.

keep your heads up you guys!

You just need to meet 2 of the 3 requirements. I did not clear this hurdle last year and was screened pre-secondary. So yeah you did accomplish something big! Congrats!

I wanted to give my honest opinion...Remember most of us on here are "underdogs" and in very similar situations, so I would take all advice with a grain of salt. First off, I feel ya man. This test has proven to be the thorn in my side. My application is pretty solid, besides my MCAT score. So you got a 21.....Trust me I'm sure I felt just as sick as you did when you saw your score, I too was expecting at least a 28. I was convinced that I scored higher and really felt defeated after the fact.
Now comes to the honesty part. I do feel like you have a shot, but I feel like you have not just the MCAT being held against you. Unfortunately you have a low sGPA (3.18). Now, I'm not sure that this will keep you out of acceptances. It is still above the screen out range of some schools (as far as I know).
If I were you and you were willing to gamble a little and spend some money I would apply to all the schools you could. I applied to every school that my wife was willing to move too...haha Otherwise I would have probably applied to every low-tier school in the country. The biggest issue for you is are willing to spend the money and fight for your acceptance. Unfortunately you're not going to be able to float through on your MCAT and GPA. You are going to have to use every essay and (possible) interview to convince admissions that you are worth investing in.

Last edited:
Should I consider RVUCOM? or is my MCAT too low?

average accepted MCAT was 24. average for the class of 2016 was a 27.

so i'm assuming that first average is including many years ago when scores were lower (as we have seen scores go up basically every year).

i applied to RVUCOM with a 3.70 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, and a 24 (8/7/9) though.

might want to look at the rest of your app and their mission and what not and see what your overall opinion is. i mean you have a chance. they wouldn't keep that 24 number on their site if they didn't have a good reason to.

your sGPA is just barely over what they deem competitive. your cGPA is good for them.

anybody know if RVUCOM favors GPA or MCAT more than the other?

average accepted MCAT was 24. average for the class of 2016 was a 27.

so i'm assuming that first average is including many years ago when scores were lower (as we have seen scores go up basically every year).

i applied to RVUCOM with a 3.70 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, and a 24 (8/7/9) though.

might want to look at the rest of your app and their mission and what not and see what your overall opinion is. i mean you have a chance. they wouldn't keep that 24 number on their site if they didn't have a good reason to.

your sGPA is just barely over what they deem competitive. your cGPA is good for them.
@baxt1412 has provided a more thorough opinion
@Shinobiz11

Should I consider RVUCOM? or is my MCAT too low?
probably not. RVU avg MCAT = 28.1

do not hold off on adding schools. The longer you wait the more you hurt your chances. Your 24 will limit your opportunities and you honestly should have applied to 10+ schools (or whatever you could afford) on day 1. Waiting for ii's or acceptances before applying to more schools (with your stats) is asking for trouble.

consider: LECOM-E, VCOM's, ACOM, CUSOM, WVSOM, SOMA, COMP-NW, PNWU, PCOM-Ga

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is necessarily true. I have an interview coming up at KCUMB and my MCAT is a 25 (6/10/9).

How? It clearly states that on their website...

@baxt1412 has provided a more thorough opinion
@Shinobiz11

Thanks.

probably not. RVU avg MCAT = 28.1

do not hold off on adding schools. The longer you wait the more you hurt your chances. Your 24 will limit your opportunities and you honestly should have applied to 10+ schools (or whatever you could afford) on day 1. Waiting for ii's or acceptances before applying to more schools (with your stats) is asking for trouble.

consider: LECOM-E, VCOM's, ACOM, CUSOM, WVSOM, SOMA, COMP-NW, PNWU, PCOM-Ga

Yeah I was broke before. Gonna add a bunch tomorrow. Definitely LECOM and WVSOM. Still deciding on others.

No idea! I'm scheduled for Thursday, 23 October. I don't think it's a fluke email because I got multiple confirmation emails and spoke with them on the phone.

I think I'll call and ask tmrw then. I was going to add them but I thought my MCAT wouldn't be accepted.

I'm not sure if this is necessarily true. I have an interview coming up at KCUMB and my MCAT is a 25 (6/10/9).

Do you know if this goes true for RVU? I have a 24 but a 5VR so I didn't apply, there requirement was at least a 6. I really like their global health program and have a lot of global health experience abroad. I definitely applied to KCUMB seeing your accomplishments thus far! Good luck!

Do you know if this goes true for RVU? I have a 24 but a 5VR so I didn't apply, there requirement was at least a 6. I really like their global health program and have a lot of global health experience abroad. I definitely applied to KCUMB seeing your accomplishments thus far! Good luck!
KCUMB has a minimum requirement of 7 in each section

Dont give up guys! Im retaking my MCAT in less than a month :D

My dad reminds me every day how useless I am........ #AsianParent #NoLove

I wanted to give my honest opinion...Remember must of us on here are "underdogs" and in very similar situations, so I would take all advice with a grain of salt. First off, I feel ya man. This test has proven to be the thorn in my side. My application is pretty solid, besides my MCAT score. So you got a 21.....Trust me I'm sure I felt just as sick as you did when you saw my score, I too was expecting at least a 28. I was convinced that I scored higher and really felt defeated after the fact.
Now comes to the honesty part. I do feel like you have a shot, but I feel like you have not just the MCAT being held against you. Unfortunately you have a low sGPA (3.18). Now, I'm not sure that this will keep you out of acceptances. It is still above the screen out range of some schools (as far as I know).
If I were you and you were willing to gamble a little and spend some money I would apply to all the schools you could. I applied to every school that my wife was willing to move too...haha Otherwise I would have probably applied to every low-tier school in the country. The biggest issue for you is are willing to spend the money and fight for your acceptance. Unfortunately you're not going to be able to float through on your MCAT and GPA. You are going to have to use every essay and (possible) interview to convince admissions that you are worth investing in.

Thanks for your input! I am signed up to retake the MCAT in December, and am studying again. I did light studying while waiting for my score, so hopefully I can pull it up from there. As far as my sGPA goes, I may retake a class if I don't get in since it will make a large impact on my sGPA. My degree is in education, and I have a strong upward trend in the sciences (4.0 in the last 2 years of upper levels). I added a bunch of other low tier schools yesterday that should go out next week. As stated before, I am not expecting too much from this cycle given my stats, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised in the end.

I just don't wanna go so far south.

I really don't mean to be rude, but what are you exactly doing? You're in no position to be picky to this degree. You're not competitive, you need to think about how to make sure you get in this year, not about preferences.

Truth is you made a poor decision not day one applying to 20+ schools broadly. Now it's October and you've pretty much got nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Dont give up guys! Im retaking my MCAT in less than a month :D

My dad reminds me every day how useless I am........ #AsianParent #NoLove

my favorite Asian dad meme lol

resized_high-expectations-asian-father-meme-generator-doctah-say-you-have-hepatitis-b-why-you-not-doctah-and-why-not-hepatitis-a-068b88.jpg

Thanks for your input! I am signed up to retake the MCAT in December, and am studying again. I did light studying while waiting for my score, so hopefully I can pull it up from there. As far as my sGPA goes, I may retake a class if I don't get in since it will make a large impact on my sGPA. My degree is in education, and I have a strong upward trend in the sciences (4.0 in the last 2 years of upper levels). I added a bunch of other low tier schools yesterday that should go out next week. As stated before, I am not expecting too much from this cycle given my stats, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised in the end.

What is your current sGPA? I can't imagine it is that bad with 2 years of 4.0 unless you were getting solid Cs your first two years or something.

Reactions: 2 users
What is your current sGPA? I can't imagine it is that bad with 2 years of 4.0 unless you were getting solid Cs your first two years or something.

It is a 3.18. I received mainly Bs when I started the pre reqs, and then had a really bad year in ORGO/Physics mainly because of some family issues. I haven't taken that many science classes, so it hurt especially since I was at about a 3.0. I take classes part time not full time. I haven't retaken any courses, so I may retake a class or 2 after the MCAT.

It is a 3.18. I received mainly Bs when I started the pre reqs, and then had a really bad year in ORGO/Physics mainly because of some family issues. I haven't taken that many science classes, so it hurt especially since I was at about a 3.0. I take classes part time not full time. I haven't retaken any courses, so I may retake a class or 2 after the MCAT.

okay, yes in the case of a 3.18 I would suggest retaking a class or two. Obviously start with your lowest grade. You maybe auto-screened out at a few schools, but I don't think you will be at most.

your 3.6 cGPA will hopefully polish up the sGPA a bit.

Is that your MCAT score or are you being funny

my bad you're already a medical student.....

My apology, I did not mean to be rude. However, I've never seen (but in statistic, yes) a single student made it with <20 MCAT scores..

I'm not a student yet, just got accepted to one but still in decision if I want to go for MD/DO or PA yet.