Externship in a US Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nosheen

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an IMG from Pakitan. I graduated last year from Khyber Medical College, Peshawar. I have done my step 1 with a score of 99 & am going to take the 2nd step in January most probably. I intend to apply for the 2003 Match but before that I would like to gain some US clinical experience. Can somebody suggest some hospitals in the US that can offer me an attachment? There is one more concern too. Does anyone know if CSA & a Clinical Attachment are good enough reasons to get a visitor visa? I intend to go be in the US by september next year to be well in time for my CSA, Clinical Attachment & Step 3. Any help will be really welcome especially regarding the "EXternship Info". Can anybody suggest a website or a hospital that offers attachments especially in Pediatrics?

I hope to have some feedback soon.

Regards,
Nosheen Javed

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Norsheen,

With good USMLE scores and a few key externships with good letters, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a residency. (at least in primary care. You will have to work harder if you want a competative speciality)

As for a visa, if you really want one you should sign up to work in an underserved area. I don't think that taking the CSA and USMLEs are enough.

All the best,
ERIC