externship in southern cali

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DIVA01

*** Extraordinaire
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a 1 month externship which will basically be what i am going to be basing my EM interest and application. where do you all think i should do it? usc or ucla or uci.

i speak a moderate amount of spanish.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i have a 1 month externship which will basically be what i am going to be basing my EM interest and application. where do you all think i should do it? usc or ucla or uci.

thanks!

oh boy. you're picking 3 pretty different programs. Depends on what you want to experience. It might be worth experiencing C-booth at USC/LAC before it becomes a thing of legends...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would specify whether you mean UCLA/Olive View or UCLA/LAC-Harbor. Two different animals. I rotated at Olive View but checked out both USC and Harbor while I was out there. I would vote USC as well. It was interesting to say the least. I think that you would have to be the kind of student that likes to learn by doing and lots of trauma. If you like the sit down and learn about cases kind of thing, I would probably vote Harbor. Both have tons of spanish-speaking folks. UCLA-Olive View has great faculty and great teaching (but wouldn't do it for a LOR because you spend 1.5 weeks at each of the two sites and don't work with any one attending much). I don't know anything about UCI.

thanks!

I would probably vote for USC, but realize that students don't actually get as dirty as one might expect given the crazy volume, pathology, and amount of trauma...less autonomy as a student than at other places I rotated at, but still very cool. Well, that might be a little harsh, as residents do try to get you a bunch of procedures which is cool...

I too think getting to spend a little time in C-booth is reason enought to go to USC, but ya gotta hurry...it will close soon.

Oh, lots of Spanish there...very helpful if you have used Spanish in a clinical environment before.

I would not do UCI unless you really want to go there. They don't see that much and students do very little and see only the primary care type patients. (my opinion comes from doing an ultrasound rotation there and watching how the EM rotating students were doing = my disclaimer that I don't have firsthand knowledge of the rotation, so a more knowledgeable person should feel free to correect me)

ncc

I'd vote USC as well. Their program director and faculty are awesome.

Too bad you can't join us at King. I used to let the medical students go crazy and do any procedures they want (central lines, etc).

thanks everyone.very helpful.