rwk66

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Status
Hi all - I'm in the midst of preparing for the MCAT, and if all goes well, I'll start med school in Fall of 2006. I graduated from college in 2000, and have taken the pre-req classes part-time while I work full time. I'm done with the pre-req's <with the exception of a few labs I need to finish>. I'm wondering - would it be wise for me to take a few advanced Bio classes between now and when I start <assuming I get accepted, etc.>? I've heard first year med students say they wish they would have taken a course in anatomy, or a course in biochem - would this be valuable <I've never taken any bio past I & II>, or am I better served just relaxing and enjoying my free time while I have it?

If this has been discussed elsewhere on the forums, a link to that thread would be great. Thanks.

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
If you're confident you'll get in w/o any additional courses you could certainly lay low...

That stated, I graduated w/ BS in BCHM and took an anatomy. If you've had NO biochem or anatomy they might actually help-especially when taken w/in a year of matriculation into medical school.

My personal feeling is they'll teach you everything you need to know so why bother?

Good luck.

txguy

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
refer to screen name
Status
Attending Physician
rwk66 said:
Hi all - I'm in the midst of preparing for the MCAT, and if all goes well, I'll start med school in Fall of 2006. I graduated from college in 2000, and have taken the pre-req classes part-time while I work full time. I'm done with the pre-req's <with the exception of a few labs I need to finish>. I'm wondering - would it be wise for me to take a few advanced Bio classes between now and when I start <assuming I get accepted, etc.>? I've heard first year med students say they wish they would have taken a course in anatomy, or a course in biochem - would this be valuable <I've never taken any bio past I & II>, or am I better served just relaxing and enjoying my free time while I have it?

If this has been discussed elsewhere on the forums, a link to that thread would be great. Thanks.
Since you are working full-time and taking pre-reqs at the same time, I would suggest just chilling out before med school! (this is assuming, of course, you do well on MCAT and get accepted :D )

I wish I weren't taking any classes right now--my motivation is so low :rolleyes:

Good luck :luck:

-tx

OP
rwk66

rwk66

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Status
Thanks for all of the advice! I think what I may do is get some anatomy and biochem books and study it on my own. That way I'll have some extra familiarity, but without the stress of a class. Now if I can only keep motivated to do it!!!

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
rwk66 said:

I would advise against taking classes, unless you absolutely must. The amount of information you will learn won't help that greatly, because it is different information, albeit the same subject area, that you would learn in medical school.

If you must, however, take a course. I would recommend taking one course. The courses I would most recommend taking, IN THIS ORDER, are:

1. Human Physiology
2. Anatomy & Physiology
3. Histology
4. Biochemistry
5. Microbiology