extra-curricular activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groves

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What activities, besides volunteering, should I be involved in, in order to increase my chances of getting in to medical school? Especially, activities that show great leadership skills.

Members don't see this ad.

fdfdfdfdfdfd

Clinical experience is a requisite. Try your hand at research and see how much you like it. If not, then don't do it just because it helps your app. Then beyond that just pursue your passions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing is good but does that count as clinical experience? When I shadowed I was allowed to take blood pressure, hear the chest, talk to patients, etc so hopefully that covers me. The hospital wouldn't let me do anything besides answer phones.

Do something you're passionate about and not just to get into med school. Do you like talking to people? Then volunteer at a nursing home and keep the elderly company. Do you like to use your hands? Habitat is good for that. Like doing electronics things? I'm sure some organizations would like a volunteer to deal with computers or maybe build a website.

Do whatever you like to do in your free time.....Jesus H. Christ.....why is this such a difficult decision???? +pissed+ +pissed+

Does being an EMT count as shodowing?

Does being an EMT count as shodowing?
I've actually heard from an admissions committee member that they treat being an EMT just as any other volunteer activity or job, depending on how you're paid. You need to really shadow for it to count as shadowing.