Extra-Curriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatttF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are they? I have a pretty full plate with laboratory Biochemistry research, hospital clinical volunteering, other volunteering, school work, etc. And I want to have some free time to myself/to hang out with people, if I were to have minimal extracurriculars but a decent GPA/MCAT, research, hospital clinical volunteering and other volunteering would I still have a good shot at getting into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you've also done some shadowing... in that case, you'd be fine, but highly ordinary. Ordinary isn't very appealing. Regardless, plenty of people get in with "cookie-cutter" applications every year.

Reactions: 1 users
How important are they? I have a pretty full plate with laboratory Biochemistry research, hospital clinical volunteering, other volunteering, school work, etc. And I want to have some free time to myself/to hang out with people, if I were to have minimal extracurriculars but a decent GPA/MCAT, research, hospital clinical volunteering and other volunteering would I still have a good shot at getting into med school?

Boooooooooooring.

You need something to make you look interesting and that you would add to the class. Cookie cutters are a dime a dozen. It's not like being a cookie cutter is a death sentence, but you will be much more successful if you are memorable and bring something interesting to the table.

Members don't see this ad :)
you will be much more successful if you are memorable and bring something interesting to the table.

Like coffee for your medical student interviewers.

Reactions: 1 user
Like coffee for your medical student interviewers.

While I do love (need) my coffee, I don't like brown-nosing. Sometimes faculty interviewers will treat interviewees to Starbucks in the hospital, but IMO it's weird for it to be the other way around.

While I do love (need) my coffee, I don't like brown-nosing. Sometimes faculty interviewers will treat interviewees to Starbucks in the hospital, but IMO it's weird for it to be the other way around.

A rare character of mine, but I was being sarcastic. :)

Though, a funny anecdote, my interviewer at Pitt actually shared his lunch with me...

A rare character of mine, but I was being sarcastic. :)

Though, a funny anecdote, my interviewer at Pitt actually shared his lunch with me...

Your interviewer at Pitt should not have been eating lunch during the interview! :p

Heh, after I was accepted I met with a physician who was sort if a mentor to me at a Panera so I could ask for some advice and whatnot. I tried to pay and he just said "No, no. I pay. This is how it's done."

Your interviewer at Pitt should not have been eating lunch during the interview! :p

Well, I'm pretty sure I have had some of the most... interesting interview experiences in general. And to be fair to him, his hummus was great. :D

Heh, after I was accepted I met with a physician who was sort if a mentor to me at a Panera so I could ask for some advice and whatnot. I tried to pay and he just said "No, no. I pay. This is how it's done."

And when you're a doctor and making the big bucks, you'll pass on the favor to your pre-med mentees. :) That's how it goes, and how it will keep going.

So what is an example of something that can set you apart from "cookie-cutter applicants"?