Extra curriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justanotherpremed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having trouble finding specifics about what kind of ecs will help with acceptance. How many hours of shadowing and volunteering would be good for an applicant with a 3.7 gpa and 31 mcat

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not sure to which schools you were planning to apply but schools such as Georgetown say competitive is 200+ hours of shadowing and 100+ of volunteering.....I got these numbers from Georgetown's website

i'm not sure to which schools you were planning to apply but schools such as Georgetown say competitive is 200+ hours of shadowing and 100+ of volunteering.....I got these numbers from Georgetown's website
OSU states 40-50 hours is optimal. 200 shadowing just seems overkill.

OSU states 40-50 hours is optimal. 200 shadowing just seems overkill.

this is what Georgetown says:

EXPERIENCES -
Clinical Experience, Leadership, Service, and Research. A highly competitive applicant will present:

• ~200-400 hours of substantive, longitudinal clinical experiences with direct patient interaction. Shadowing with a physician is preferred, as this gives the candidate an understanding of what a physician does. International experiences are acceptable, but a portion should be in the United States.
  • ~100 hours of research in any academic discipline.
  • ~100 hours of direct service of the underserved.

cgpa 3.84 sgpa 3.71 lizzy ~70..... I interviewed at georgetown in the beginning of December and they really stressed the hours especially the community service

Hey guys I'm having trouble finding specifics about what kind of ecs will help with acceptance. How many hours of shadowing and volunteering would be good for an applicant with a 3.7 gpa and 31 mcat

I'm a 3.60 c, 3.77 s with your MCAT and I've over 800 hours in a hospital setting (both clinical and not-so clinical). I've got 400+ hours of research, but no pubs outside of a poster (that I didn't have time to present unfortunately; the PI did it.) I've got 6 interviews out of 19 schools.