Extra Funding options for informal post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenixi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to be taking 5 classes to fulfill the pre-med requirements. The university where I will be taking the classes said that I can borrow $12 500 in Stafford Loans. However, are there other options I can use to cover the cost of doing these classes (i.e. books, transportation, room and board)? I am a bit frantic and appreciate any advice you can give.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Scholarships --- unlikely but you can try.

Work study is your best bet. You can find a job that is low stress and you just sit at a table on the computer doing some things.

And/or get a part-time job.

Why is your post-bacc so expensive? Can't you just live with your parents to save on all of that and go to a school near you?

Each class is about $2000 and I'll need money for books, travel, and fees. I am living at home. Is federal work-study open to post-baccs? What are the best private loans companies?

Members don't see this ad :)
Each class is about $2000 and I'll need money for books, travel, and fees. I am living at home. Is federal work-study open to post-baccs? What are the best private loans companies?

I don't know if federal work-study is available, but I would strongly discourage you from getting a private student loan. Most, if not all, accrue interest from disbursement, the payment plans are usually awful, and most have a variable interest rate. To make things worse, you probably won't ever be able to get rid of the loan, even if you file for bankruptcy. Same goes for federal loans (regarding bankruptcy), but at least now there is an income-based repayment option for Stafford loans. This site has more info about the new repayment option: http://ibrinfo.org/

I got a private loan for $2500 two years ago out of necessity, but now, with interest it's at about $5000. I'm going to pay it off quickly this year, but that really sucks. And my loan got bought two or three times by different banks so it was hard to keep track of it. I was naive and didn't do any research before I got mine. I would say just to stick with federal loans, or if you have to get a private loan, go to a credit union or local bank. Just do a lot of research and read all of the fine print.

Hi,
I am going to be taking 5 classes to fulfill the pre-med requirements. The university where I will be taking the classes said that I can borrow $12 500 in Stafford Loans. However, are there other options I can use to cover the cost of doing these classes (i.e. books, transportation, room and board)? I am a bit frantic and appreciate any advice you can give.

Thank you.

Visa/Mastercard/Amex/Discover, baby! Dischargeable in BK...

yes you should be eligible for workstudy as a post-bacc if you qualified for it during the past few years and your family's income and assets haven't drastically increased.

But otherwise those are your only two real options:

1) Work-study
2) Part-time work.

Work-study is convenient because a lot o fthe times you do nothing and you can get work done, though it may pay a little less, it often is taxed less (at least in NY).

It sounds like you're going to a private college. Are there any state schools nearby? There's no difference in the "quality" of education that you'd be doing.

What classes are you taking btw?

Last edited:
I can't go to any private college near my area because the don't offer funding, even federal loans. Community colleges don't have space.
I am taking Gen Chem ad physics.