Extra Hours Surpassing Minimum to Graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted407021

I've looked through previous threads and none seem to address my specific concern. I was duel enrolled from high school and I just completed the first semester of my official sophomore semester (HS class of 2012). However, I have the credits of a junior. I want to graduate at the normal date for when I matriculated, which will be the Spring of 2016. I want to take this extra time to improve my GPA (especially my science GPA), finish my research and build my application around all of my ECs. My concern is that I will have lots of extra credits surpassing the minimum I need to graduate, which is 128 hours. I may have credits ranging into the 140s. Will all these extra hours cause any problems at all for my application, following graduation? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

No one will care, if they even notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've looked through previous threads and none seem to address my specific concern. I was duel enrolled from high school and I just completed the first semester of my official sophomore semester (HS class of 2012). However, I have the credits of a junior. I want to graduate at the normal date for when I matriculated, which will be the Spring of 2016. I want to take this extra time to improve my GPA (especially my science GPA), finish my research and build my application around all of my ECs. My concern is that I will have lots of extra credits surpassing the minimum I need to graduate, which is 128 hours. I may have credits ranging into the 140s. Will all these extra hours cause any problems at all for my application, following graduation? Thanks so much!

I had extra hours as well, and it won't make any difference to the application process. No worries!

No. In fact the converse will be true if you are raising your GPAs.

That's great to know. My plans can move forward. Thanks, y'all!

FAfsa will cut you off for undergrad funding at like 160-180ish (i forget the exact number)

FAfsa will cut you off for undergrad funding at like 160-180ish (i forget the exact number)

FAFSA will pay until you reach 150% of your undergrad credits, for the OP that would be about 192 credits.

Extra credits that raise GPA and are taken in upper level courses will look good.

Maybe see if those extra credits can translate into a second degree/double major/minor. They won't hurt you. I came into undergrad with 20ish credits so after one semester I was technically a sophomore. It won't affect your application negatively at all.