Extra letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmateurChef

Health policy consultant
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all --

What are your thoughts on extra letters of recommendation? I just received two letters that I hadn't expected to receive (one faculty was out of the country, another was away for family reasons) and I believe both letters would strengthen my application. However, I don't know how schools would react if they received letter of recommendation after the deadline and/or they don't specify whether one should submit letters beyond the basic 2 science / 1 non-science...

Members don't see this ad.

I actually just got another letter of rec from one of my professors. What I am planning on doing is sending a personalized letter to every school saying another letter is coming. That would allow me to show interest in the school and they would have warning so they wouldn't throw it out.

There was a thread about this during the summer, and almost everyone was sending more than the 3 required letters. Tulane is the only school that clearly states they don't want any extras. I doubt other schools would throw anything out that was clearly identified with your AMCAS and/or Social Security number, but the letter's not a bad idea either.