1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Extra letters of recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AmateurChef, Dec 17, 2001.

1. AmateurChef

AmateurChef Health policy consultant
    7+ Year Member

Hi all --

What are your thoughts on extra letters of recommendation? I just received two letters that I hadn't expected to receive (one faculty was out of the country, another was away for family reasons) and I believe both letters would strengthen my application. However, I don't know how schools would react if they received letter of recommendation after the deadline and/or they don't specify whether one should submit letters beyond the basic 2 science / 1 non-science...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I actually just got another letter of rec from one of my professors. What I am planning on doing is sending a personalized letter to every school saying another letter is coming. That would allow me to show interest in the school and they would have warning so they wouldn't throw it out.

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Jalbrekt's plan sounds like a good idea for extra letters.

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

There was a thread about this during the summer, and almost everyone was sending more than the 3 required letters. Tulane is the only school that clearly states they don't want any extras. I doubt other schools would throw anything out that was clearly identified with your AMCAS and/or Social Security number, but the letter's not a bad idea either.