Extra materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl77

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on including extra reference letters with your application package? Most programs I am applying to ask for 3 letters, but do you think it's okay if I send 4? I know that they will all be great letters, so I'm just curious as to whether or not it is alright to send an extra one. Two of the letters are academic references and two are clinical references.

Members don't see this ad.

I've asked this same question myself. From what I understand, part of applying to graduate programs is following directions. If they ask for 3 and you send 4, that can be viewed negatively. I've been in contact with a few programs regarding this (due to low GRE score) and asked if I could send 4 letters of recommendation instead of 3. Some said 3 is enough, others say send what you want. So, I'd contact the programs and ask them first rather than sending it without asking.

yeah i think in general you should do what they ask. one of the schools i'm applying to says send 3-5, so obviously it would be okay to send 4 in that case, but if they say 3, i would send 3. since you said they're all good, i would try to think about which letters would serve you best at each school and send the 3 most appropriate ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent 4 to nearly every program I applied to, specifically because things can happen to letters. Not one program gave me a hard time.

Mark

I sent 4 to nearly every program I applied to, specifically because things can happen to letters. Not one program gave me a hard time.

Mark

Good to know. I think I may ask my advisor what he thinks. I'm leaning towards sending them.

I sent four letters and for me it was fine. Multiple interviews, offers and I just started at a great program.

I highly doubt a program that is interested in you is going to say "oh well we liked xyz person but xyz sent 4 letters instead of 3, never mind..." One possible risk -- a particularly rigid program might just choose to read three and discard the extra one. In that case you are letting them choose which of your three they read vs. you choosing.

YMMV of course. :)

What is the general consensus on including extra reference letters with your application package? Most programs I am applying to ask for 3 letters, but do you think it's okay if I send 4? I know that they will all be great letters, so I'm just curious as to whether or not it is alright to send an extra one. Two of the letters are academic references and two are clinical references.

I would just like to add that it's possible that some programs may view this as someone who cannot, or will not follow directions. I'm not sure if this is common, but it's possible.

I would just like to add that it's possible that some programs may view this as someone who cannot, or will not follow directions. I'm not sure if this is common, but it's possible.

They could, they could also toss your application if only 2 of your LOR's show up through no fault of your professor or you. Which risk makes more sense? That's up to you.

Mark