extra summer classes or study for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

drugsarecool

Hi. Long story short. I sucked at school my freshman and sophmore year. I had a 2.85 GPA at the end of my sophmore year. Worse, this was at a community college. However, when I was accepted to a university (considered "second best" in my state") I had a ~3.1 GPA.

I just finished my first quarter here with a 3.89 GPA. I also recieved an A- in organic chemistry=). I find living on campus (university apartment) makes studying much easier. Plus, I have also matured in regards to my partying (meaning i've stopped doing it way to much) and just as a person/student/realizing whats important.

I've changed my major from biology to "cell/molec bio-biochem" so I'll be here as super senior...and have room to minor in psychology. I'm also enrolling here summer quarter just to bring up my GPA. I won't apply anywhere until after I graduate. So, by the time I apply, all 10 quartres of my new and improved coursework will be visible to adcoms. I have also considering applying to SMP's to enroll in for the gap year even if I continue getting A's...im not sure...

I will be enrolling here during summer 2007. But, I was also considering enrolling summer 2008 to put in an extra quarter....is that even worth it...or should I just use that entire summer for MCAT prep?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your GPA need the boost that badly? I'd focus on MCAT scores if I were you. If you aren't working, I say do both. Just don't overload yourself in the summer.

"I just finished my first quarter here with a 3.89 GPA. I also recieved an A- in organic chemistry=). "

It doesn't sound like you need to boost it up your GPA to much. Assuming the rest of your science and math classes have resulted in such good grades. I'd focus on your MCATS, that is TIED for the biggest deciding factor.