Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Extra Time on Verbal

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by scotties123, Apr 29, 2007.

1. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy

Medical Student
    I've been practicing verbal with AAMC exams and TPR, but I keep running into the same problem. I keep scoring 10-12 but i always have 10-20minutes remaining in my exam time. I thought if I slow it down I could do even better, but when i read slower I just answer the questions faster, and it balances out to be the same. Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. I'm practicing with paper exams, 60 ?s 85 min. to do them.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. evoviiigsr

Is this a joke?

4. scotties123

Medical Student
    ? why would it be a joke. I give myself 9 minutes a passage (81 minutes) leaving 4 minutes if need be to go back and check anything. but the problem is that I always finish with 15-20 minutes left. I know I could utilize this time somehow to get a better score, I just dont know how.

5. bioteach

bioteach MSIV

Medical Student
    You're not the only one. I finish about 10-15 minutes before the end of each verbal. Even when I force myself to go back through with the remaining time, I haven't been able to break 12. I pretty much always get a 12 on the practice test verbal sections. On the actual MCAT (haven't gotten the score back yet) I had 18 minutes left on verbal. Revisited everything I needed and still had 12 minutes to kill. I get to nervous second-guessing myself, so I just ended it early and went on to the next section.

But then, I go fast on everything and always have at least 5 minutes left on every section. I either know it or I don't. Extra time doesn't help. I wish that extra time could get me a 14 or 15 on verbal...but when I miss something, its because I genuinely don't know the correct answer. I know someone that swears she gets 45's when she isn't timed at all...but I usually answer every question, right or wrong, I get to each one.

Oh well, so I don't have a solution for you. On the real thing you can "mark" all of the ones you are unsure of. Do that, and then spend time going through each you weren't postive of again and again.

6. killinsound

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    i hate to break ti to you, but if you're spending 9 minutes per passage on the new format, youll run out of time.

7. scotties123

Medical Student
    yea but isnt the new format 6 passages, 40 questions, 60 minutes? that gives 10 minutes a passage.

EDIT: I just checked the AAMC free CBT exam 3. it has 7 passages. at 60 minutes that's still 8.5 minute each. Im finishing passages in 6-7 minutes.

8. Surf Rx

the new format is 7 passages...

60 minutes / 7 verbal passages = you do the math.

9. evoviiigsr

Are practices passages designed for the old MCAT indicative of the new passage lengths (both # of words and questions)?

10. killinsound

Physician

Resident [Any Field]

that's how my timing usually is and i finished the real deal with 1-2 minutes remaining.

nerves + other factors on game day will slow you down a little.

11. Dr.Masamichi

Pre-Medical
    Holy S****, WTF, r u guys serious? I can barely finish a passage in 10 minutes...talking about in 8.5 minutes...ok I'm freaking out here...plz plz help u smart pple...wat am I supposed to do here? :(

12. sehnsucht

Pre-Medical
    time yourself and ALWAYS practice verbal timed. even with 8.5 minutes per passage, with the proper pacing you can finish comfortably. in my case, I always finish reading the passage anwhere between 2-2:30 minutes which leaves 5 minutes or so to answer the questions. i do think I've ever needed a full 5 minutes to answer the questions. i've found that the key to tackling the verbal section comfortably is to have a good sense of the proper pacing and to read the passages well enough that you don't have to go back at all. if you do need to refer to the passage for specific questions, you should have read it well enough to know where to go to find the answer.

try this for practice: work on a few passages with no more than 8 minutes to answer each passage and then increase your number of passages to 2, then 3 until you can work consistently on 7 passages under the 8 minute time frame. the feel of the pacing is much slower than you think so take a few days or so to get a better sense of the pacing for the verbal section so you are prepared for test day.

hope this helps!

13. akinf

akinf Senior Member

Medical Student
    Wow...when I wrote the MCAT, I couldn't finish the CBT verbal...everything just seemed so fast. The timer in the corner of the screen counting down to my doom wasn't helping either.

14. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member

can u hide the timer that's in the corner of the screen?

15. Barfalamule

Barfalamule Member

Medical Student
    Don't try and read slower. Try and do the questions slower. Utilize the strikeout feature and go through each question eliminating all that are obviously wrong and battle it out in your head if there are two remaining. Also go back to the passage when you feel it'll help you. Doing those things in conjunction with reading the passage should take up all the time with somewhere around 2-5 minutes remaining. That's where you want to be.