1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Extracirriculars?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rhwave, Oct 19, 2001.

1. rhwave

rhwave Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

So, here's the deal: I have about 2 more years of undergrad left, and only recently began to seriously consider medicine. I will have my science reqs done after next semester, and am planning to study (and work/research) this summer and take the MCAT in August. My question is about extracirricular activities...I know they are
    important, but what kinds of activites/how involved do you have to be?

At the moment, all I can really say is that I go to all the basketball games and yell really loud...I kinda doubt adcoms are going to be super impressed with that. My
    schedule is pretty crazy right now (25 hrs a week in class)...is doing summer research good enough? I thought about joining the pre-med club at school, but how
    valuable could any activity that takes an hour every other week or so really be (as far as applications)?

I am not real anxious to spend all of my free time doing activities that I don't enjoy just so I can list them on the app., but I know I need to be doing something.
    What kinds of activities are you all doing? Any suggestions/advice appreciated! Thanks. :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LBJeffries

LBJeffries Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Get medical experience and do what you enjoy. You need to invest serious time, so don't just join the pre-med club or run for treasurer of your fraternity. I kept my eyes open for interesting and fun activities, and then I worked my @$$ off to fit them into my schedeule.

4. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So the typical response to this question is to find something that you like to do and do that. There aren't any specific activities that med schools particularly like above any others. They just want to know that you are a whole person (as in you do things besides studying). Since medicine involves dealing with people, they want to make sure that you can. They also like to see a committment to whatever activity you choose, so picking one thing and doing it for two years is better than picking 10 things and just going to the meetings once a month. As far as pre-med clubs, in my opinion they seem like places to get ideas (like this forum) and not necessarily places to be involved. You should not do something you don't enjoy. What about volunteering in a clinical setting? I hung out in a playroom for a year and a half and had a blast. Gives me something to talk about in interviews too. Med schools like to see that you've been in a clinical setting and know what you're getting into. As for the basketball games, is there anyway you could get involved here? I don't know, booster club or making posters? Find something fun and do that. Whatever it is, if you enjoy it, it's the "right" kind of activity.

5. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

Well, at least you seem to have a personality and sense of humor! Those are much more valuable if you ask me...

However, I am not on an admissions committee. What they are looking for is genuine committment and excellence - in ANYTHING. I don't think you should do things you don't enjoy to fulfill this (as you yourself say). However, they will be looking for something where you are an active particpant rather than part of the crowd. If all you really enjoy is yelling at basketball games I guess you could always become a mascot or a cheerleader.....(half kidding)

As far as research is concerned yes, I think summer research will look good/be good enough. Most applicants don't have any research.