Extracting my own teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is legit...

I mentioned in another post that I have pain under a cap - probably carious. I've become moderately obsessed with the idea of yanking my own tooth (it's #30), but, way back when it was relatively new (14 or 15 years ago - don't remember if it was 87 or 88, but I do recall I was working at Sears), I was eating a Milk Dud, and it pulled the cap off. I went to my dentist, who reattached it. Therefore, I wonder if there is a stronger material used to bond the second time.

Thus the point - if I grab onto this tooth with my Leatherman tool, is it more likely to pull the cap off, or pull the tooth out? I don't know the physics of what is used to bond caps on, so I have to ask.

Why would I do this? 'Cause I can...one of those other things that I want to do, just to say I did. Also, that will save me a few hundred dollars, even at the NYU dental clinic. Of course, if the tooth can be saved, then that's all right, too!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off please don't attempt to extract your tooth yourself. While a pair of extraction forceps may have a loose resemblence to a leatherman tool, there is quite a significant design difference, and the lack of the instruments used before the extraction forceps. Additionally while its isn't very difficult with the proper technique to extract a tooth, a posterior tooth especially requires proper instrument angulation or else it can be quite easy to fracture to root during the extraction.:eek:

As for current dental cements, Yes they are stronger than 14 or 15 years ago. Cements of that era wre most commonly a Zinc Oxide Phosphate cement, and today's cements are anywhere from 5 to 20 times more retentive. Additonally when a crown dislodges it's generally for 1 of 2 basic cement failure reasons: mechanical failure due to excessive chewing/"sticky" factors, and cement failure caused by recurrent decay under the crown. If it's a cement failure due to the first cause, then a relatively simple and easy recementing can be done. If it's due to recuurent decay, then it's a bit more involved and likely will require the fabrication of a new crown and potentailly root canal therapy if the recurent decay has reached the pulp(nerve space). The fact that it's been 14 or 15 years since this crown was done means that you've had TWICE the expected lifespan (the American Dental Association puts this average lifespan at 5 to 7 years). The constant fluid assault by your saliva on the ceramics and cements, the mechanical forces of chewing and grinding, and the thermal expansion and contraction that occurrs as you eat hot and cold items takes a toll on your crown. That crown has served you well all these years, it may be time though to treat yourself to a new model that will serve you for years to come and allow you to continue your accustomed chewing patterns.

Thanks for the common sense....even though I'll probably be edited, there's a phrase I learned in military college (where editing does NOT occur) - "There's a fine line between balls and stupidity".

The balance of what you wrote is equally interesting, and, now, I am actually motivated to get this done! Yeah!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I gave the implication that dental instruments weren't specific, I'm sorry. I always marvelled at the extraction forceps, that looked like the most specific vise-grips I'd ever seen (and, if you know vise-grips, you know how precise they get!). I did not mean to cast the aspersion that a Gerber tool or Leatherman was nearly the right thing; in fact, that was part of the "allure" - to use a very general tool to do it. I grant to DMD's and DDS's all the respect I can - having worked equally hard as I have (or more so, 'cause I'm a slug), in a field where people generally don't want to be your patients earns you my "cred".

In no way am I suggesting that you extract your own tooth. However, my step-father, a practicing dentist, extracted his own third molar several years ago. He went through the same procedures he would go through with a patient and had no complications. I personally think that its a bit sadistic, but I worked in a hospital laboratory where we would draw blood samples on ourselves. People tended to look at that in a similar way. After a nurse missed my vein and told me I had "rolly veins," I did it myself and informed her she was probably just having an off day. Part of it comes from curiosity, part of it comes from being able to say that you did it yourself. If you do succeed, you'll be able to say you did. But if you screw it up, which you probably will, there'll be a long line of people ready to laugh in your face. Good luck if you do, and remember to sterilize that leatherman.

Wow...
I couldn't believe my eyes when I was reading the these posts. Thanks for the good laugh guys! You could always tie a string (of a sort) to a door, and kick the door shut. Good luck with the procedure, and please let us know the end result..

-Happy trails :clap: :eek: :clap: :eek: :clap:

Common sense has kicked me in the head (unfortunately, not in the irritating tooth)...although I manipulate it daily with my hands, the tooth has not come out, and I don't think I'll be putting the Leatherman to it any time soon...it's a good thing I quit drinking!

I removed my own appendix with minimal difficulty.

Of course, the lubricant for essentially every stupid thing in human history, but...

So, the only bottle opener I have is on the...

Leatherman tool...

And, one thing leads to another...and I grab my tooth...and, gentle traction...

But it doesn't come out....

And I come to my senses...

Another tragedy averted.

(Damn - that sounds like one of the poems on the Subway (if you're not from NYC, that won't make sense)!!)

Wait till you break off your tooth, and leave some root tips with exposed pulps, then you'll be in real pain buddy...Try to fish for them root tips with your craftsman :D