subzero0174

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
Would it be advisable to start joining as many organizations as possible on my campus? Do you guys think it is better to have fewer orgs with more positions, or more orgs with no positions. How important is it to have a position in an organization? Thanks

beep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
subzero0174 said:
Would it be advisable to start joining as many organizations as possible on my campus? Do you guys think it is better to have fewer orgs with more positions, or more orgs with no positions. How important is it to have a position in an organization? Thanks
it is important to do something substantial and meaningful to you, and to be able to demonstrate your leadership/couseling/advocacy/interpersonal/whatever skills--which may well mean a leadership position, depending on the organization. "as many organizations as possible" is not a good plan, imo... although i'd say you probably want to have at least 5-7 activities total (including jobs, internships, hobbies, volunteering, research, etc.), not all of which you have to do at once.

it is probably good to at least pretend (or truly believe) that you are doing things as part of a personal journey, to help others, to grow as a person, to learn, to figure out if you want to be a doctor, to change your community, to fight injustice, yada, yada, rather than just to get into medical school. if nothing else, looking at it that way may help you pick which organizations to join and enjoy your time in them more.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
subzero0174 said:
I think schools prefer fewer activites with a longer time committment. And when you are more dedicated to a praticular club, you'll have a better chance at getting an elected postition. If I remember correctly, a few of my med school applications specifically asked whether I had held any leadership positions. Therefore, I think it's sorta inportant... or at least, it can only help make your application stand out.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
dsblaha said:
I never joined any organizations and I got in.
but is there something really special about your application that AdComs would overlook your lack of activities?

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
Attending Physician
Definately fewer organizations with positions that you held and specific things you can point to and say I accomplished this. That said I had no positions and still got in. What's more important than general EC's is volunteer work and clinical exposure.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you're not proud of what you did, then it's not very significant.

dsblaha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
Winston-Salem
Visit site
Status
tinkerbelle said:
but is there something really special about your application that AdComs would overlook your lack of activities?
In addition to good grades and MCAT scores I did research and I worked a butt load of hours as an undergrad and I also didn't apply for med school until 3 years after graduating so I have some "real" life and work experiences.

Don't do it if you don't want to.

MWillie

On the wards
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
Chi Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You can do research instead, but make sure you're doing something.