Extracurricular activities for getting a good residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PediatricsRocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to enter my second year of med school, and there is sooooo much I want to do, but I don't want to commit to too much stuff for next year and then get overwhelmed. So, I'd like to know, what sorts of extracurriculars did people who got into the top residencies do, and how much of it?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been through the process yet, but from what I've heard, EC's don't count for much. They're looking for:

1) Step Scores
2) 3rd Year Evaluations & Grades
3) Dean's Letter
4) Interview
5) Research
6) 1st & 2nd Year Grades

Check out this thread on the pre-allo forum:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=620357

Extracurriculars are meaningless for residency. Get the grades/board scores and LORs. Good LORs that mention an outstanding work ethic + sound clinical knowledge from faculty who are known in the specialty are the best ECs that you can have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently, 3rd year core clerkship grades are more impt than Step I score. A recent publication by residency directors made a list of the most impt stuff. Extra-curriculars is way at the bottom.

The only real extracurricular on there is research. So do some good researching, author some papers, that's worthwhile.

The only real extracurricular on there is research. So do some good researching, author some papers, that's worthwhile.

Agreed. Unless you count making yourself known and liked by the better regarded attendings in your desired specialty an EC. Which can be extremely valuable, although it never gets listed on ERAS.

Agreed. Unless you count making yourself known and liked by the better regarded attendings in your desired specialty an EC. Which can be extremely valuable, although it never gets listed on ERAS.

That can often go hand in hand with research.

I'm a mere first year, but I've found in the past that ECs are very useful for writing essays and topics in interviews.

I'm a mere first year, but I've found in the past that ECs are very useful for writing essays and topics in interviews.

This is residency we're talking about. The people who interview you are wondering if they can stand working for 3-7 years next to you. If you don't have something more interesting to talk about than your stint as curriculum rep. and founder of the Medicine is Great club, you will be in trouble.