extracurricular experience... like you've always seen it before

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daftpunk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize you folks are probably dying to answer questions about extracurricular experience so please refrain from giving too many or too serious of responses.

Basically I just wanted to know if this will be enough extracurricular experience to compete with the average applicant (focusing solely on extracurriculars.) The only assumption you need to make is that I am able to talk for ages about these experiences and I do in fact, have passion for each one of them.

At the time of my application I will have:

2.3 years of 4 hours a week of volunteer work at a hospital, as a 'patient advocate', meaning I basically talk to patients about their problems and how to make them more comfortable

2.5 years of toastmasters speech club including 1 year as president and 1 year as vice president

9 months of plant genetic research including 1 poster presentation and 1-2 publications

1 year as an academic advisor living the dorms helping guide a group of freshman through their first year

Approximately 20 full days of shadowing including a 5 day long preceptorship, the other 15 days were among various specialties including several days of surgeries

2 Years of a leadership Greek club as a general member

My only concern is that my extracurriculars will not count against me as my GPA and MCAT are what I consider my strength. Any help on this?

Members don't see this ad.