Medical Extracurriculars and Matching as an OMS - what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year Osteopathic Medical Student. I'm pretty middle of the road in all my classes. I'm satisfied with the result given the work I put in, as I'm trying to pace myself with board preparation. I've been pretty content the last year, suffice to say. I am aiming toward FM, specialty wise, but I am not entirety settled. Being able to match into the NE US is most important for me.

I have 2 big concerns moving forward:

1) I don't have any ECs in medical school. I joined the student interest groups but there really isn't much to do unless you're elected to something. Even volunteer opportunities come down to 'sit at a canned food drive table for a day. sell sweatshirts for a medical fraternity'. It seems even more like box-checking than anything I've done as a premed. Should I be doing more of this? Do I need to to match? I'm very worried about starting something new with board preparation approaching, but feel like I need to start before 3rd year. I do have publications and work experience from before med school.

2) Given this, do I take USMLE or not? I am a bit worried the stress of another test might hurt my COMLEX, but think my application might need a little garnish somewhere given the above.

I appreciate the time!

Have you met with your dean of students who is supposed to guide you through the match process and/or write your standardized evaluation letter? Usually it helps to start early. I don't fully believe you when you say you have no EC's in medical school; what do you do to ground yourself whenever you're not studying for exams? It might be a bit more box-checking but if you are interested in FM, have you gone to any affinity clubs in FM? Done extra clerkships? Found sponsors or mentors?

Members don't see this ad.

At this stage we have an academic adviser who mostly deals with study strategies and board preparation. When I brought forth my concern I got a kind of, "it would be nice to get involved in something..." reply without anything more specific, and I didn't want to really press the issue.

I appreciate your reply. I've joined and paid dues to interest groups in Psychiatry and FM. Outside of one group inviting someone to give a talk, or selling fleeces, I cannot say either is especially active. I suppose its something to show up on my CV - I just don't know what I'd say about it if asked during a residency interview.

I certainly have personal hobbies and a 5 year work history as a lab manager with publications and stuff. I don't think my CV will be blank I just don't really know what an average applicant is expected to be up to besides studying. I was thinking of maybe trying to volunteer at a student-run clinic, but slots are coveted there.

I was never really given the option of clerkships at this stage, other than the two that are assigned to second years, nor was I told to seek them out.

Just for the sake of options later? Or have students without been severely hamstrung at your school?

Thank you both.
It allows for more options

Status
Not open for further replies.