Extracurriculars and sophomore summer plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

withreggaeton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a biology major and linguistics minor and I'm just starting the spring of my sophomore year--taking orgo 2, orgo lab, and genetics. I have around a 3.7 right now, have contributed to one research project that has been published, and last summer I spent six weeks at Cambridge doing other research.

I'm stressing out about what to do to this summer, though... also just extracurriculars in general. I struggled with depression with my freshman year, and as a result I failed organic chemistry (retook it fall semester and got an A-, though!) and did not get involved on campus at all. I'm doing a lot better with my depression now and am ready to do something outside of just going to class and studying, but I don't know where to start looking. I feel like most other competitive pre-med students are involved in a lot of activities and I don't want to fall behind. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it advisable to do research during your sophomore year or would it be too much to handle? I can also be involved with research over the summer.

What kind of summer activities are typical for a pre-med student? I babysit, but aside from that I don't have a job at home. Should I volunteer at a hospital, contact professors at the local university in my hometown for research positions, take classes, etc? Honestly, I don't know what med schools look for or how to stand out, and I really would love to get some experience in a medical environment but I don't know where to start.

Members don't see this ad.

You took organic your freshman year? Volunteer at a hospital, be a big brother, shadow a doctor or two for a few days, do something meaningful and enjoy a bit of a break from the grind.

Hi all, I'm a biology major and linguistics minor and I'm just starting the spring of my sophomore year--taking orgo 2, orgo lab, and genetics. I have around a 3.7 right now, have contributed to one research project that has been published, and last summer I spent six weeks at Cambridge doing other research.

I'm stressing out about what to do to this summer, though... also just extracurriculars in general. I struggled with depression with my freshman year, and as a result I failed organic chemistry (retook it fall semester and got an A-, though!) and did not get involved on campus at all. I'm doing a lot better with my depression now and am ready to do something outside of just going to class and studying, but I don't know where to start looking. I feel like most other competitive pre-med students are involved in a lot of activities and I don't want to fall behind. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it advisable to do research during your sophomore year or would it be too much to handle? I can also be involved with research over the summer.

What kind of summer activities are typical for a pre-med student? I babysit, but aside from that I don't have a job at home. Should I volunteer at a hospital, contact professors at the local university in my hometown for research positions, take classes, etc? Honestly, I don't know what med schools look for or how to stand out, and I really would love to get some experience in a medical environment but I don't know where to start.

Study abroad. Volunteer in a clinic. Research (if you can get a position somewhere). Study for MCAT (if you're up for it).

It's good you're thinking about doing something productive during the summer because come time to apply to med school you'll can put down activities you did and can comment on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it that you took orgo in your freshman year?... and what kind of research were you part of? Just curious.