Extracurriculars for Nontrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm just trying to get an idea about what sorts of activities are considered extracurricular activities for Nontrads. For now, let's not consider Volunteer Work, Clinical/Medical Work, or a Combination of the two to be extracurricular activities. Let's also not consider work experience or leadership positions to be extracurricular (these are all separate boxes on the TMDSAS application.)

Are things like raising a family and hobbies considered "extracurricular?" How relevant do these things have to be to be considered extracurricular? I've read that anything that shows off a particular talent is good, but what about hobby-type activities that do not necessarily show off a talent?

Just trying to get things straight....

Thanks a lot,

Jota

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: Alas no, having a family does not count as an EC. If it did, many of us would be in a better position. Want to use the same skills, go for Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

If you don't want to deal with anything medical related, think about debate society, politics, writing (get a few poems published maybe), honor societies (but who doesn't have these), language clubs, history clubs, internet/computer clubs.

vtucci said:
:laugh: Alas no, having a family does not count as an EC. If it did, many of us would be in a better position. Want to use the same skills, go for Big Brothers/Big Sisters.

If you don't want to deal with anything medical related, think about debate society, politics, writing (get a few poems published maybe), honor societies (but who doesn't have these), language clubs, history clubs, internet/computer clubs.

It's not that I don't want to deal with anything medically related, it's just that that is a separate category on the TMDSAS application. Same with BB/BS -- That's a volunteer activity (another separate category on the application,) not an extracurricular. I don't have my TMDSAS ID in front of me, otherwise I would post the category descriptions.

Maybe AMCAS doesn't distinguish between volunteer and extracurricular activities, but TMDSAS definitely does, so I was just trying to see what kinds of stuff people were classifying as EC. I mean, I am a semi-pro Blackjack player -- does that count? I guess ultimately, my questions is what types of hobbies are worth putting down as ECs, or is the EC section pretty much free-form to show things that make someone unique? Or did you just list the same volunteer experiences in the EC expriences box?

Thanks

Jota

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I pretty much listed the stuff you didn't want us to consider, so I guess I'm not much help. My EC's included:

University related clubs
Local community club
Volunteer work (both medically related and not)

I did include some volunteering/community involvement stuff I did in the military too, unless the app specified they only wanted stuff in the last 3 years or something. Are you a member of the PTA or actively involved in your church? I would include that as an EC too.

I thought I'd add that if you're part of an organized group, I would probably include that as an EC. So if you go golfing once a week for fun, that wouldn't really be an EC. But if you're a member of golf club, and do activities, fund raisers, etc then I could see that being included. The EC's are meant to show your leadership, community involvement, organization, etc. Hope this helps. :)

Khenon said:
I thought I'd add that if you're part of an organized group, I would probably include that as an EC. So if you go golfing once a week for fun, that wouldn't really be an EC. But if you're a member of golf club, and do activities, fund raisers, etc then I could see that being included. The EC's are meant to show your leadership, community involvement, organization, etc. Hope this helps. :)

OK, that's the sort of clarification that I was looking for. Thanks!

I didn't do the TMDSAS, but in the AMCAS I put skiing, hiking, rock climbing, sailing, and reading as my hobbies, all wrapped into one.

I participated in a tutoring program, and that was listed separately.

I seriously doubt that extra curriculars make a difference at an applicant's state school(s). ADCOMS aren't that interested in the warm and fuzzy. Look at admissions stats; they're about MCAT and GPA not the % who wiped butts for charity.

Upper tier Ivy League schools? Who really knows, after the legacies and those with >40 MCAT scores plus those perfect people who managed to squeeze in working for Gibon's legal aide service their junior year abroad.

For most, I would think that focusing on GPA, post bacc. and MCAT makes more weight. That being said, if you're coming from a totally non-medical background and haven't worked in a clinical/research setting then maybe it’s important. BUT, I doubt it. Improve what you have control over.