Extracurriculars in Brooklyn NY.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stackshred

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Brooklyn and was wondering if anyone has any advice on EC opportunities in the area. I have taken a about half the required pre-med courses already but since I wasn't planning on going to med school, I haven't done any EC's. I know I need to do non clinical volunteering, clinical volunteering, research, leadership etc... which means I have a lot to get done. Can someone give me some pointers on how to go about finding clinical experience. Is contacting a nearby emergency room and enquiring about volunteering positions a smart way?

As far as research is concerned, is working for a professor at school the only way or can I go about this? Are there any places outside of colleges that offer adequate research?

I honestly tried searching the forums for info before posting this but I couldn't find good answers. I apologize if this has been discussed. Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

just as a follow up to the above question, when contacting a hospital in hopes of doing some clinical volunteering, which dept do you contact? Thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only question is what do you want to do? Brooklyn has pretty much everything. Lots of opportunities in community service/hospital volunteering and more.

The only question is what do you want to do? Brooklyn has pretty much everything. Lots of opportunities in community service/hospital volunteering and more.

To be very honest, I couldn't care less about what the research/volunteering involves as long as it helps my application. Right now I need both research, clinical experience and volunteering.

I am really willing to do anything. If you have any recommendations, i would be totally grateful.

As a first step I'd check these sites:

http://www.nycservice.org/

http://www.newyorkcares.org/

Does your college have a premed advisor? They often have a list of opportunities in the area.

Ok so those two sites certainly open some opportunities for me as far as non clinical volunteering, so thanks for sharing them.
If anyone has any additional ideas, please share.

I will talk to my school's premed advisor on Tuesday if he is in. Hopefully he will have some ideas for me as far as clinical experience and research. If any of you guys have any ideas for me in this dept, I cant thank you enough.

I personally think nycservice is a rather disorganized website. You should see what other people are doing in terms of community service. Some common things are soup kitchen, homeless shelter, habitat for humanity, volunteer tutoring/mentoring. For any of these type in "activity X Brooklyn" (for example type "homeless shelter volunteer Brooklyn") in Google. Once you get some contact info you can either email/call or ask in person. I've personally noticed that many of the people in charge don't pick up the phones and ignore emails so asking in person is probably best. Schools don't really differentiate between these different activities so much as your reasons and experiences, so pick what you think you will like most.
Research you should probably contact professors in your school to see what they have. For clinical volunteering, feel free to PM me.

You should check out the area hospitals and see if they have volunteering opportunities. Maybe SUNY Downstate? Just go to their websites and see if you find anything. I work at Beth Israel in Manhattan (not too far from downtown Brooklyn), and there are lots of volunteers there, so maybe you can check them out.

I believe there are volunteering opportunities at Methodist, Maimonides, and Kings County. These are the ones I know of, but there are certain to be more.

Thanks to everyone that contributed.

If I want clinical experience, which dept at Kings County for example, would I get in touch with? I imagine I wouldn't be calling their emergency room or they might think I am crazy lol.

Also as far as research is concerned, I know most people just do it through one of the professors at their school. I am just wondering if there are any medical offices or something of the like, that would allow me to do research outside my school.

Thanks so much for all the help I have been given so far, i really appreciate it.

Today I went to Dr Silbering. He was very helpful and told me who to contact at Kings County. I am going to email that person tonight.

As far as research is concerned, if any of you guys have any ideas for me on how to do research outside of Brooklyn College, that would be great.