extracurriculars in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ieatjellyfish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can u all give me your thoughts on the importance of community service & other extracurriculars in med school when it comes to applying for residency? i'm in my 3rd year now, & i didn't do much my first couple of years...so i'm wondering how that will affect my chances...

Members don't see this ad.

ieatjellyfish said:
can u all give me your thoughts on the importance of community service & other extracurriculars in med school when it comes to applying for residency? i'm in my 3rd year now, & i didn't do much my first couple of years...so i'm wondering how that will affect my chances...

Hi there,
Your grades and board scores are the main factors in residency. Extracurriculars mean far less in medical school than undergraduate. Research is nice but again, not an absolute.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Your grades and board scores are the main factors in residency. Extracurriculars mean far less in medical school than undergraduate. Research is nice but again, not an absolute.

njbmd :)

Thanks for the advice!! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
just to give the opposing viewpoint in case anyone's interested. one residency director at my medical center I spoke to indicated that EC involvement is weighted more heavily than research experience, but that neither are major determinants. every little bit helps, though...

Bones2008 said:
just to give the opposing viewpoint in case anyone's interested. one residency director at my medical center I spoke to indicated that EC involvement is weighted more heavily than research experience, but that neither are major determinants. every little bit helps, though...

I agree with this and had a similar comment made by my PD and other interviewers .