Extracurriculars not strong enough? chance at top 20 non existent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woopsi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like theres no one thing that I really focused on on building up my volunteer hours, I just did things when I had the time. i just want to get into ANY MD med school, low-mid-top tier doesnt matter. but WAMC at each? should i even bother sending an app into a top 20

These are what i expect my hours/stats/EC to look like in may when im going to apply:

3.9 gpa, no mcat yet, ok recommendations, asian

Research:
500 hours, 1 poster presentation

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
60 hours Habitat for Humanity over 2 semesters
30 hours as Big Bro/Big Sis over 2 semesters
20 hours medshare over 2 semesters
50 hours miscellaneous volunteering --soup kitchens, pasing out flyers, fundraising, etc

Clinical Volunteering:
40 hrs Medical Mission Trip
100 hrs at hospital over 3 semesters
40 hours volunteer service trip 6 days

Shadowing:

30 hours - 2 docs

Teaching:
60 hours internship at underprivileged school, 1 semester
Over 200 hours tutoring neighborhood kids in very basic homework over 4 years---is this listable? its not verifiable as I just do it for free. I guess the kids parents could be listed as contact?--please answer.

Leadership:

Officer of Service organization 2 semesters as member, 2 semesters as officer
Officer of Another service organization 1 semester as member, 1 semester as officer

Honors/Awards
2 scholarships
member of honor society

WAMC?!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like theres no one thing that I really focused on on building up my volunteer hours, I just did things when I had the time. i just want to get into ANY MD med school, low-mid-top tier doesnt matter. but WAMC at each? should i even bother sending an app into a top 20

These are what i expect my hours/stats/EC to look like in may when im going to apply:

3.9 gpa, no mcat yet, ok recommendations, asian

Research:
500 hours, 1 poster presentation

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
60 hours Habitat for Humanity over 2 semesters
30 hours as Big Bro/Big Sis over 2 semesters
20 hours medshare over 2 semesters
50 hours miscellaneous volunteering --soup kitchens, pasing out flyers, fundraising, etc

Clinical Volunteering:
40 hrs Medical Mission Trip
100 hrs at hospital over 3 semesters
40 hours volunteer service trip 6 days
Shadowing:
30 hours - 2 docs

Teaching:
60 hours internship at underprivileged school, 1 semester
Over 200 hours tutoring neighborhood kids in very basic homework over 4 years---is this listable? its not verifiable as I just do it for free. I guess the kids parents could be listed as contact?--please answer.
Leadership:
Officer of Service organization 2 semesters as member, 2 semesters as officer
Officer of Another service organization 1 semester as member, 1 semester as officer

Honors/Awards
2 scholarships
member of honor society

WAMC?!
Chances and schools to focus on will depend heavily on the MCAT score you get. You can look at historical odds for applicants with your GPA and various MCAT outcomes at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-who-applied-with-your-cgpa-and-mcat.888650/

Except for light shadowing, your ECs look pretty good to me. To satisfy most school expectations, I suggest 20 more hours and be sure a primary care doc is included.

Yes, you can list the ad hoc tutoring as an activity, using parents' email or phone info for a contact.

Be sure to include hobbies and artistic endeavors, too.

Yes, agreeing with Catalystik here, your ECs look fine to me. However, it's hard to gauge what your chances are without an MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
ECs aren't going to drop any jaws at top schools, but they're strong enough that some would consider you if you had an excellent MCAT to go with your app. And definitely list your tutoring.

Wow, those are actually extremely good. You have a good shot at top 20s and top 10s, assuming your mcat is good too. nice job

As usual, I 100% concur with the Cat.

Chances and schools to focus on will depend heavily on the MCAT score you get. You can look at historical odds for applicants with your GPA and various MCAT outcomes at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-who-applied-with-your-cgpa-and-mcat.888650/

Except for light shadowing, your ECs look pretty good to me. To satisfy most school expectations, I suggest 20 more hours and be sure a primary care doc is included.

Yes, you can list the ad hoc tutoring as an activity, using parents' email or phone info for a contact.

Be sure to include hobbies and artistic endeavors, too.

thanks! i do not know any primary core docs (aka no connections) and cold calling has done me absolutely no good. the 2 docs i shadowed were family friends. is it really THAT detrimental if i dont shadow a primary care doc?

thanks! i do not know any primary core docs (aka no connections) and cold calling has done me absolutely no good. the 2 docs i shadowed were family friends. is it really THAT detrimental if i dont shadow a primary care doc?
Some schools will be specifically looking for it and others won't care so much, but having it helps your application appeal to a broader audience. Even if you plan to specialize, it's a good idea to have a view of medicine from the trenches, so to speak, as it's where you'll start out. And having that view of longitudinal care helps you answer a lot of common interview questions.

What about asking your pediatrician or your folks' doctors. Or, can your current shadowees refer you?