MD Extracurriculars weak? WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walala

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: Scheduled to take in May

Research:

400 hours over 3 semesters
1 poster presentation, 1st author
submitted an abstract for another poster, 2nd author, but conference is in september (after applicaiton cycle, should I list this?)

Clinical Volunteering:
20 hours as CNA in nursing home
60 hours volunteering at hospital
3o hours medical mission trip
Total: 110 hrs

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
30 hours volunteer trip
20 hours mentoring
20 hours with another organization
40 hours habitat
Total: 110 hours

Internship:
50 hours teaching internship

Leadership:
On E-board of 2 diffrerent campus rganizations

Awards:
1 big scholarship (by big i mean 10k+), 1 small scholarship (only 100)

Shadowing:
Shadowed 2 doctors ~30 hours

Members don't see this ad.

The number of volunteer hours will probably work against you. Sometimes it's worth taking an app cycle on the chin to see how things shake out. In the meantime, build up the ECs and in the worst-case scenario, if youre shut out this cycle, you can apply stronger the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Subtract out the # of hours for the medical mission trips, unless your were assiting in surgeries or helping deliver babies. Most AdCom memebrs view these trips as medical tourism. Most applicants have > 100 hrs of patient contat experience.

Clinical Volunteering:20 hours as CNA in nursing home
60 hours volunteering at hospital
3o hours medical mission trip
Total: 110 hrs

I assume the 40 hr is with Habitat for Humanity? if so, that 's good...one of my favorite charities. What's up witht he volunteer trip? Some of my more cynical collagues would say you just went on vacation somewhere and are trying to palm that off as an EC. Their thoughts, not mine. Again, most applicants have more varied experiences and > 100 hrs. To me, it seems like you did the bare minimum. Play up the teaching internship!

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
30 hours volunteer trip
20 hours mentoring
20 hours with another organization
40 hours habitat
Total: 110 hours

Which number is weak? The number of clinical hours?

The medical mission trip was going back to my country and while I was not delivering babies, I got to do a ton of awesome things. No specifics online as I want to talk about it on my personal statement. But it was definitely not tourism.

The volunteer trip was also get involved and legit.

I don't want these activities looked down on. How can I show on my application they were very legit and not just tourism buffers?