Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flack Pinku

U lookin at my glasses??
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a to-be sophomore in college. So far, I've just concentrated on studies, but now I have applied to my local hospital as a Volunteer and waiting to get an interview.

So, what are the other things I should do as a Doctor-hopeful?

Or rather, what do the top USNews-ranked Med schools want in their applicants (besides GPA, recommendations and personality)? What type of EC's do they respect a lot?? :confused:

Your feedback is very much appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

besides medically related volunteering, you could try tutoring and research.....but just do whatever you're interested in. Doing anything that is unique always helps too......

Volunteer as widely as possible. Hospitals, clinics, community health fairs, the student health center...wherever you can get a wide perspective of the practice of medicine, and the teamwork of today's health professionals. If you have other interests besides medicine, develop those. I started an after-school science club at a local underserved elementary school. I got a few questions about it during interviews, where I could explain my involvement in the community and my desire to help kids get interested in science. I have heard of premeds who are athletes, vocalists, musicians, dancers, writers, etc., etc. I think schools really respect applicants who followed their own interests in spite of their interest in medicine. It shows that you can balance your coursework, clinical experiences, and other responsibilities, and maintain an identity outside of medicine. It shows that you are a well-rounded person and can have a life outside of medicine, which is important to schools that don't want to produce a bunch of overstressed docs who don't know how to really live life. If you can afford it, travel (study abroad). I have heard schools that appreciate students who have diverse perspectives because they have experienced other cultures and their ways of life. Obtain leadership experience. If you can't find a club that is a perfect fit at your undergrad institution, start your own premed/prehealth/music appreciation/yoga/latin salsa/etc. club. A great organization to look out for is an AMSA (American Medical Student Association) Premedical Chapter. If there isn't one at your school, you can start one. Schools really look for altruism and clinical experience, bottom line. But whatever you do, don't do extracurriculars simply to buff up your resume. Do things you actually enjoy or are passionate about. It will show through on your application/personal statement/interview if you participated in things you enjoyed doing, because these are the things you will be able to write about and talk about with enthusiasm. Do research only if you are truly interested in learning for learning's sake. Research is not all boring and sitting behind a lab bench (but it can be if you are not truly interested in the work you are doing). You can certainly do basic science research in a laboratory, or you can do research out in the field (think environment/ecology/behavior/etc.), or you can do research in a clinic taking surveys of patient responses. It is just finding the right mentor that is the trick. Good luck with everything. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. Actually, how important are extracurriculars?

If you're very good academically and personally, with your professors giving very good recommendations, how can a medical school reject you based on your modest-to-no ECs?

After all, isn't being a doctor about having a warm personality and a studious mind? :confused: Why should you be a jack-of-all-trades and a master of all?

i think the important thing you want show is a long committment and dedication to an activity. i have several friends going to "top" med schools who had really just 1 extracurricular. however, that 1 EC was 4 years of scientific research with lots of publications/presentations/conferences. so to answer your question, you do not have to be a master of all. again, do something you really enjoy and your passion will shine through.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Flack Pinku:
•Thanks for the responses. Actually, how important are extracurriculars?

If you're very good academically and personally, with your professors giving very good recommendations, how can a medical school reject you based on your modest-to-no ECs?

After all, isn't being a doctor about having a warm personality and a studious mind? :confused: Why should you be a jack-of-all-trades and a master of all?•••••Medical schools want to know that you can do more than study. Sure you can have a warm personality and a studious mind, but what good is it if you saved that all to yourself? They wanna see you embody the desire to help rather than just state it. They also want to see whether or not you have enough leadership qualities to become a doctor. On top of all this, they want to see if you can mange a full schedule, and what you do with your free time. Adcom's assume that if anyone studies 10 hours a day, he/she will get a 4.0, and there's no way of letting them know that you DON'T study 10 hours a day without proving to them that you do something else with your time. So basically, the "warm" idea is right... it's just that they won't believe it if you or your professor tells them that. They want to see it.

Just a reality check on importance of EC's. Two real cases of people I know. First case: guy who smoked/killed/assasinated/etc. the MCAT. He even taught at Princeton Review and tutored and taught ochem at the community college level. Real smart guy, but started in on his EC's a bit late in the game. He did an internship at a local hospital to get clinical exposure, and then he did some research at a state medical school to get that experience. But both experiences lasted a maximum total of 4 months each. He may have had other experiences beyond that, but those are the ones I know of for sure. Of course, great grades, LOR's, the whole nine yards. He wanted to get into an allopathic school, but applied to DO schools as a backup. He did not get into a single allopathic school (he is now attending a DO school), and from others who knew his application very well, they say that what held him back were the ECs. He did not have an extensive volunteering background and had limited clinical experiences.

Second case: Again, another student who absolutely smoked the MCAT. We're talking 40+. Had leadership experience, some volunteer experiences here and there, but very limited clinical exposure. 4.0 student, honors college, everything. Sure shot for the top 10 huh? Nope, barely made it into the state school off of the waitlist. Why? Again, everyone who was familiar with her application said that it was the lack of clinical experiences that kept her from her dream schools.

Lesson: Don't just settle for a couple of experiences. Be well rounded. But that doesn't mean you have to be a fanatic overachiever who is in every single club on campus. Find your niche. Find out what your passions are, and pursue them. But don't limit yourself to only shadowing and your academics. Being well-rounded is more than taking a diverse course load. It means being able to balance your time between all of your life's passions and on top of that, letting all of your life's activities shape you into a better person. Whether that is volunteering at the local homeless shelter, giving dancing lessons to underprivileged kids, or being the star rugby player on your school's team, let your skills, your passions, and your personality shine through in those ECs that you will list on your application. I am sure that there is nothing more boring do an adcom than a cookie-cutter premed who never did anything but studied, followed docs around, and made nice with the profs. Most med schools pride themselves on picking very diverse classes (classmates). If you are not a diverse person, based on what your experiences were in undergrad (your ECs), then you might have nothing to offer a school. i.e. they may not pick you over someone who has great ECs and maybe not even as good as scores and stats as you. Something to think about.

1) Sorry if this is ignorance, but, how exactly is volunteer work at a hospital's ER or OR different from clinical work?

2) How many hours of hospital volunteer work per week is considered good during school? With studies, extracurriculars, I'd think time to volunteer would be scarce... :confused:

Clinical work, or clinical experience, is basically where you have direct patient contact. Taking vitals, talking to patients, assisting nurses and docs, and also getting an understanding of what goes on in the clinical setting (how docs, nurses, and other support staff interact) can be included. It doesn't count if you are not interacting with patients and medical/health care staff on a regular basis.

As far as how much you should do, I think one shift a week for about 4 hours is typical. Some hospitals require volunteers to commit to this type of schedule for a specified amount of time (or at least in my city), usually 6-12 months.

Another thought. Your grades and MCAT scores (your academics) in general show a medical school your ability to get through medical school and your licensing exams. ECs will show a medical school what kind of person you are, which will in turn show what kind of doctor you may be (in terms of being altruistic, compassionate, competent, etc.). But the main thing is not to do ECs for the sake of doing them and thinking that that is what an adcom wants. Do ECs that speak to you and that you enjoy. At an interview, my interviewer point blank asked me if I did some of my ECs because I thought they would help me get into med school or because I liked them. I really did enjoy my experiences, and was surprized that someone would ask me that question. Just be sure that you could honestly answer that question if it ever came about. Good luck with everything.

From what you say, Ischemia, I'd think you're on the target. You demonstrate for the ADCOMs that you have it in your gut to "just do it." :)

I'd think all you have to do now is say what you wrote here on your essay and your interview.