Extramarital Affairs and Autoimmune Diseases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsadler

drug dealer to the stars
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is asking about extramarital affairs crucial when diagnosing autoimmune disorders?

I have been watching the West Wing on DVD and the President's lawyer brought this up when discussing treatments given by the First Lady to the President. I don't understand how this fits.

Members don't see this ad.

mdsadler said:
Why is asking about extramarital affairs crucial when diagnosing autoimmune disorders?

I have been watching the West Wing on DVD and the President's lawyer brought this up when discussing treatments given by the First Lady to the President. I don't understand how this fits.

In some cases, viral or bacterial infections lead to the formation of antibodies which recognize epitopes in normal cells in the body. This consequently leads to an autoimmune response in the individual.

this is the only link? i understand that bacterial or viral transmission could lead to autoimmune disease but this seems like a strange correlation. i understand that extramarital affairs could increase risk of transmission but it just seems like such a strange jump.

are there stats to show that this is a valid question to be asking (ie is there correlation to support increased autoimmunity in those having affairs)?

Members don't see this ad :)
most tv shows are inaccurate in their portrayal of medicine though, especially if it's a non-medical show ... even er, house, and grey's anatomy are inaccurate at times ...

Chlamydial infections can lead to arthritis in the joints. Therefore you need to know if the patient has had chlamydia or if their partner has, since the disease is often undetected by those who contract it.

Wow! I actually learned something useful in micro!!!! :D