Extramural clerkship + Chances of program X based on credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JonathanS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have been following this thread for a few months now, and have been impressed by the level of expertise around here and by the friendliness of the posts.

It is my first official post, so I will try to keep it short & to the point.

Given my credentials (see below) I am trying to identify an institution where to do an away rotation this summer -- an institution that would be in my "league" come application time, and where I could realistically be accepted at for residency (if I do not mess up during the away rotation, hehe).

SO, what schools should I think of? ALSO, what might be good institutions to apply to come September 1st?

Credentials:

Undergraduate school: BS (cum laude with distinction) from Top 5 university
Graduate school: M.P.H.
Medical School: Top 30 Medical School
(All these 3 institutions are in the SE/southeast, which is where their reputations are the strongest).

Research: 5 science/medical projects
Publications: 3 articles as 1st author (2 ophtho, 1 non-ophtho)
Presentation/Poster: 1
Class rank: Top 1/3 (ish...not sure officially)

I have good grades (including a few Honors both clinical and pre-clinical), good letters, and have completed 2 great months of ophtho at home medical school.

My USMLE STEP 1 score is 216 (right at the mean).

Given all this.... could you please suggest some schools? Thanks, all y'all!:)

Members don't see this ad.

... Anybody, anybody else? More than 100 people have seen the post, but only one reply? :( Pleeeease guys, any advice and info, no matter how brief, would be helpful... I really do not have folks to talk about this stuff around here, and it would be great to get some advice from fellow future (or current) ophthalmologists.
I know the timing is tight, as people are already sending their applications for summer rotations...

Best of luck to all of you... Jonny

Well you are asking a silly question. No one knows what schools you would be competitive for - you will only find out once you apply and see what happens. You scores are a little low for ophtho but the rest of your CV looks above average with research. Why not try to do a rotation where you would like to go? Usually, it is advised that one should do a rotation at a dream place and at a program where they think they have a realistic shot. Hope that helps.