Extraordinary applicant. Help!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sakeena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey really need an advise!!! I will try to explain evrth as brief as possible but give all details about my situation.

I'm Canadian Resident enrolled in Ontario University (Human Bio major) transfered as 2nd year student in 2008 from overseas where I actually was studying in Medical University for 3 years (there is no pre med and it's all long 7 years undregrad program) I had very good marks there, overall 4.0GPA for 3 years, but all my transfer credits are shown in Canadian transcript without mark so they don't have any affect on my cGPA.

Now the things getting complicated. I did absolutely horrible in the first 2 semesters of study in Canada (lots of reasons: was working, didn't know abt any student communities where I can get a help, different language etc). Things are getting better now, I got 2 A's and taking another summer project where I expect A as well and I'm very carefull on choosing subjects and studying ahead of time, so hope that last 2 years in Uni I can raise up my GPA. BUT.......... cGPA will be low anyways cuz I failed 1.0 course and did poorly on couple others so even If I will get 4.0 on my 3rd and 4th year my overall GPA will hardly reach 3.6 (3.4 after 3rd year)

Main point- I want to apply to top US and some Canadian medschools (as there are not too many of them in Canada which I would really enjoy to attend). Will my application be still competitive with that GPA and high MCAT and will Admission committee still take under consideration my back-home marks and experince or they only care abt ur Canadian grades?

Btw I have lots of extracurricular stuff to add to my application
Backhome: starting from high school UNESCO leader, 3 years of youth organization leader in University, printed number of articles on genetic disorders, participated in conferences, nurse assistant for 3 years in different hospital departments etc.......
Canada: Ontario Medical Laboratory Technician License (and member of Ontarion Medical Laboratory Technologist Society)
Volunteering, tutoring, Anthropolgy research project, foreign literature research project, participated in adult music community research etc
plus I speak 5 languages (ability to undurstand another 3-4)

Preparing seriously for MCAT ahead of time (have more than 12 months). Aiming 37+

what would be the best option for me?

Option 1 (very risky)
Apply after 3rd year with ~3.4GPA and 37+Mcat, pray that I can get in on my dream Uni

Option2
Apply after graduation with ~3.6 GPA 37+MCAT and maybe more extracurricular activities in Canada

O2 seems better but I would have 1 year off after bachelor. If you do the calculation 3years in Uni backhome+ 1 year canadian LabTech college + 3 years in Canadian Uni turning out to be 7 in total and 1 year off seems too long way to med school.....

any advise would be highly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

You could always try to apply. I think it will depend on a number of factors that I can't predict for you.

Obviously you will be more competitive with a 3.6 GPA and more classes under your belt, but if you aren't willing to wait the year, then just apply after your third year.

If I were in your shoes I would wait until after your 4th year of grades are in and then take advantage of the year off... Oh wait... That is what I did. ;)

You could always try to apply. I think it will depend on a number of factors that I can't predict for you.

Obviously you will be more competitive with a 3.6 GPA and more classes under your belt, but if you aren't willing to wait the year, then just apply after your third year.

If I were in your shoes I would wait until after your 4th year of grades are in and then take advantage of the year off... Oh wait... That is what I did. ;)

But if I can not get in after 3rd year, then I have to reapply next year. I heard that lots of Universities don't like re-applicants. Is it true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 3.4 GPA is too low for all top medical schools even if you have a very high MCAT score. 3.6 looks a lot better and, along with a very high MCAT, puts you at a much better spot than a 3.4 does.

I'm curious, can you tell us where do you come from? a 7 yrs medical schools is real long...

I'm curious, can you tell us where do you come from? a 7 yrs medical schools is real long...

We don't have pre-med so 7 is actually combined Bachelor and Medschool. First 3 years is more theoretical stuff like pre-med and 4-7 is actual medicine. As far as I know many countries have this system (mostly post Soviet) Russia, Ukraine, Belorussia etc

It's kind of pointless to say you're aiming for a 37+ MCAT score. Do you realize how hard that is it do? That's like 98th or 99th percentile.