jackets5

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
Do medical schools actually verify the things u write down as extra cirruriculars. The reason being, i played minor league baseball for about 3 years before college and that is obviously a big extra in my application. however, there are a few things that occured while i was in the organization that would not be very good at all for schools to find out which will most likley be brought up.

sweatybrain

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jackets5 said:
Do medical schools actually verify the things u write down as extra cirruriculars. The reason being, i played minor league baseball for about 3 years before college and that is obviously a big extra in my application. however, there are a few things that occured while i was in the organization that would not be very good at all for schools to find out which will most likley be brought up.
wait, you mean you are planning to write something that you don't want the schools to find out about?

Larsitron

Mac Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Medical Student
Yeah. This sounds odd.

OP
J

jackets5

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
no i want them to know i played, but there were a few things that happened during the time would not look so good if they were to find out about them. Considering it was a major 3 years of my life before college. I just am curious to know if i list it will they thourghly look into it.

Realest

Rowdy Chik
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
New York
Status
probably not, especially if you don't list contacts

sweatybrain

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
if you mean misdemeanor or felony, a lot of schools will have a question about that on their application. And it's probably not a bad idea to answer those kinds of question honestly.

If you means you got really drunk one year and hit 0.200, then no, i don't think you need to include that in your application. Don't ask, don't tell.

Good luck.

OP
J

jackets5

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
actually it was being charged for a felony which was subsequently dropped and a failed drug test (organizational)

sweatybrain

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i don't know. some schools do a background check, and it may or may not show up on your record. I'd ask your premed advisor if you have a decent one.

Scrubz67

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
Status
jackets5 said:
A few things...

1. AMCAS states that all 'experiences" must be post-secondary. i say this because you state that it was for 3 years of your life BEFORE college...leading one to believe that it was during high school and therefore cannot be lsited on AMCAS anyways.

2. I know for a fact that AMCAS verifies activities, especially "unusually" great/unique ones. this is from personal experience.

OP
J

jackets5

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
no it was after high school, instead of going straight to college i was drafted by a MLB team and played for them for 3 years. does this qualify as an "unique" experince that would be verified

sweatybrain

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
you can choose not to include it, but i wouldn't. a three years gap in your life is pretty hard to explain, no? Just be honest and tell them what you have learned and how you have grown from your experience. We all have made mistakes.

Scrubz67

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
Status
jackets5 said:
no it was after high school, instead of going straight to college i was drafted by a MLB team and played for them for 3 years. does this qualify as an "unique" experince that would be verified

oh ok. i dunno what the criteria is for "unique" or "unusual" but its definitely something that stands out. But they do find contact people even if you don't provide someone on the form.