extremely confused!! in need of advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nolls

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all of you on SDN,

I have this huge confusion going on in my mind.... and need to figure out a way to manage it.

I am done with my part 1 and toefl, and planning to apply to schools for the year 2005. My current visa (visitor`s) expires before the dental school interviews begin. which is the best visa I can get to come back for my interviews.
another visitor visa, or a F1???

which is better?....

thanks in advance,..
bye

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Nolls,
u can get an F-1 visa only after getting an admission into a school.
after applying to a school, if you are selected, they issue an I-20 with which you can apply for a student visa.
many people who are doctors or dentists and who want to come to usa generally apply to courses like mph or mha and once they are in the country, they attend school for one semester and in the meanwhile try for an admission into a dental school and then take a transfer. and some of them also enroll in kaplan to maintain F-1 status (until they get an admission), as it is less expensive compared to other courses.

Hi Nolls,
Hope u r doing fine.My hubby deals with all kinds of immigration.He can guide u very well.I have seen him guiding people & that has been very successful.If u r interested , u can contact him at [email protected]se mention u r identity & from where u came to know bcoz sometimes mail is junk&there is no time to open.Thanks.Do not worry. everything will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Nolls
Hi to all of you on SDN,

I have this huge confusion going on in my mind.... and need to figure out a way to manage it.

I am done with my part 1 and toefl, and planning to apply to schools for the year 2005. My current visa (visitor`s) expires before the dental school interviews begin. which is the best visa I can get to come back for my interviews.
another visitor visa, or a F1???

which is better?....

thanks in advance,..
bye

You won't get an F1 unless you're enrolled in school.

Perhaps you should try to renew your visitor visa. Remember to submit your passport BEFORE it expires (close to the date), NOT AFTER it.

hi there

right now i am on visitor`s, to come for interveiws.......
shd I apply for a second visitor`s visa
or shd I try to apply for MS in some schools and come here on a F1 visa
so that I can attend interviews.
suppose I come on F1 for MS, and then get admission into dental school, can I switch from MS to dental?
can I do that?
do I have to go back to india for it...again?
what could be the potential problems in doing it this way...?
or I shd try my luck at visitor`s visa...

thanks to all those who are responding to this post,..
bye

hi there

right now i am on visitor`s, to come for interveiws.......
shd I apply for a second visitor`s visa
or shd I try to apply for MS in some schools and come here on a F1 visa
so that I can attend interviews.
suppose I come on F1 for MS, and then get admission into dental school, can I switch from MS to dental?
can I do that?
do I have to go back to india for it...again?
what could be the potential problems in doing it this way...?
or I shd try my luck at visitor`s visa...

thanks to all those who are responding to this post,..
bye

I really don't understand anything in this post. If you explain your current status and your future plans more clearly, maybe then we can help you. When does your visitor's visa expires? when do you plan attending interviews? when do you plan enrolling in an MS?

Hi Nolls,

Read what itsme had to say-that makes a lot of sense.
Cos that has been and is the popular route sofar.
If you come on an f1 and would like to transfer to dental-you can-as principally you are just changing your school-NOT the visa status.

Lets say you did come here on a visitors and get admitted,chances are that to aquire an F1 you might have to go back to your home country for stamping-the possibilities of converting the b2 to an f1 here in the US are pretty narrow-you might need a lawyer for the same.

Given that you already have a visitors visa,you have better chances of getting a b2.I have no idea of what your chances are for an f1.

So plan accordingly and decide-if you can go back to ur home country for the F1 stamping after u get admitted then go ahead with the B2.
But if you plan to go about everything right from interviews and getting into a school and completing it here without moving out-then F1 makes a lot of sense.

So think well and come to the right decision.

Wishing you well!
Ek

hey meggs

here goes my story

I got a one years visitor`s visa from sept 2003 to sept 2004
I am done with part 1, toefl and planning to complete part 2 before I go back.
my I -94 expires on 9th may
so I am goin back to india before that.
as u know all the dental school interviews are going to be scheduled after september.
So I need another visa to come here for interviews.
Which way shd I take, apply fo ranother visitor`s visa
or apply for MS and come here on a F1 ...
I will have to apply for spring quaters...(MS in any subject like microbiology or something like that) I dont know if i am too late for that, or if i can make it at the right time for interviews.
I still need to find information on that.
what do you suggest?

once again, thanks all of u helping me out on this one,..
I wonder what it would have been without this site,

bye

hey meggs

here goes my story

I got a one years visitor`s visa from sept 2003 to sept 2004
I am done with part 1, toefl and planning to complete part 2 before I go back.
my I -94 expires on 9th may
so I am goin back to india before that.
as u know all the dental school interviews are going to be scheduled after september.
So I need another visa to come here for interviews.
Which way shd I take, apply fo ranother visitor`s visa
or apply for MS and come here on a F1 ...
I will have to apply for spring quaters...(MS in any subject like microbiology or something like that) I dont know if i am too late for that, or if i can make it at the right time for interviews.
I still need to find information on that.
what do you suggest?

once again, thanks all of u helping me out on this one,..
I wonder what it would have been without this site,

bye

I'm not sure if you actually have time to apply for an MS this year.

In any case, the most cheaper and easier way will be to try to renew your B2 visa. If you were able to get it the first time, you might be able to get the 2nd time as well (I'm just guessing here).

I agree with rajkang, you may risk time and a lot of money trying to get admited to an MS for the sole purpose of getting an F1 visa.

hello everyone

I have a visitor`s visa valid till sept.
can I extend the same one or do
I need to apply fresh, if I want another visitor`s visa.
thanks!!! to all those who are replying...
really really appreciate it.

Hi Nolls!
u can always apply for extension on the existing visa, but again I am not sure if that is an advisable thing to do.
Normally when u reapply for ur visa (visitor or F1) in ur home country, then the INS usually considers ur stay in the US and if u had any extensions or not.
Actually the way they decide on whether or not to stamp the visa is very vague and really hard to assess but there have been many instances where the visas where rejected based on there previous extended stay in the US.
Also, even if u get an admission and the school does sponsor an F1, u cannot change ur visa from visitors to F1 without going back to ur country (atleast thats what i know of post 9/11).
The best thing for u to do is to get some legal advice.

I have a visitor`s visa valid till sept.
can I extend the same one or do
I need to apply fresh, if I want another visitor`s visa.

That varies from country to country. US will allow some people to renew their visas without having to reapply (my case), but some other countries (new rules) have to reapply from scrath. Get legal advise.

hi all

I 94 expires in may so i am leaving the country before that.
but my visa is valid till sept.
I know that i can extend my stay (that is I am talking about the I 94) I want to know, can I extend my visa,. the current visa, can I extend that one??
or do i have to apply all over again for visitor`s visa.
In any case, i think i shd get some legal advice, as all of you mentioned.

What about coming here on F1. I mean on a MS program.
All I want is, to figure out the most stable way to come back.. for interviews.

need ur advice on this one?? F1 or B2?

waiting for more responses...
bye

Hi Nolls,
I was in nearly the same situation as you are.I had applied for a tourist visa again(B2) before coming here for the interviews because I wasn't interested in MPH and I guessed the admission process for MPH would take a lot of time.
There no guarentee for getting a visa of anytype.
If I get admission this year I will go back to India to apply for an F1.
take care