Extremely discouraged...-_-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brittanyboop115

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've taken the MCAT twice. The first time was lousy, and the second time I scored one point LOWER. (I actually did significantly better on the PS section, but I did so bad on verbal that it just balanced out)

So, here I am about to take the MCAT for a THIRD time. This time I'm going to take a Princeton Review course because there obviously is something that I'm doing wrong. I don't have a problem with aiming for a better score, but I'm concerned with what the med schools will think. Is it terribly bad that I'm taking it for the third time? Has anyone gotten accepted with their third attempt? Thanks for any input!

I've been accepted for Fall 2011, I took the MCAT 4 times before I applied. Just try and trend upwards. Also a trick that helped me out was as soon as I took the MCAT, I immediately signed up again and took it 2 weeks later (or the earliest time that you can for me it was 2 weeks) and did much better on the second. I did this after taking the MCAT twice a year apart and only doing 1 point better on the second attempt.

Summary: there is always hope, just don't give up and believe you can do it

I've taken the MCAT twice. The first time was lousy, and the second time I scored one point LOWER. (I actually did significantly better on the PS section, but I did so bad on verbal that it just balanced out)

So, here I am about to take the MCAT for a THIRD time. This time I'm going to take a Princeton Review course because there obviously is something that I'm doing wrong. I don't have a problem with aiming for a better score, but I'm concerned with what the med schools will think. Is it terribly bad that I'm taking it for the third time? Has anyone gotten accepted with their third attempt? Thanks for any input!

This thread should be moved to the MCAT section?

How many practice MCATs did you do and how did you score on them?
What was your weakest section and how did you work to improve it?

The road will never be easy for you, but...
YOU CAN DO THIS. Please never ever give up. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
The one thing I would say to those having a hard time with the MCAT is consider that it is not "the hardest exam you're going to take." You need to sit down and figure out what it is about the test you're having a hard time with it: for a lot of people it is the test-taking itself. If thats the case you need to figure out why you are a poor test taker and fix it.

You have 3 more exams (Step 1, 2, 3) and then your actually boards for your specialty which you will retake every few years. If you are a poor test taker you could have a very hard time with your steps or your boards (board pass rates for many specialties is quite low).

Figure it out and fix it now. This isn't one test you need to push your way through and then fight your way into medical school. Its bigger than that. How much worse would it be to get into medical school and then not be able to be licensed. Rare but happens.

Not trying to be discouraging, just pointing out another perspective. Its probably not the subject matter, its far more likely your test taking skills.

I have applied 3 times and taken the MCAT 3 times as well. Third time was definately the charm bc I did better on my MCAT, received 9 interview invites and currently hold 3 acceptances. I think if you have a dream, go for it. Don't worry about how it will look to Adcoms, the only thing they will think is that you are driven and will continue to strive to do better. I was actually commended in several of my interviews for continuously increasing my MCAT score and activities each time I applied. If this is your dream, nothing should hold you back. Take your MCAT and look at it as something you HAVE to do. The adcoms will appreciate your persistance.

Make sure you're doing well on the AAMC practice tests before you take the real thing again. Those are pretty good at predicting what you'll get.

Make sure you're doing well on the AAMC practice tests before you take the real thing again. Those are pretty good at predicting what you'll get.

Agreed. Those tests were the best indicator for my score. The Kaplan ones definitely weren't and were extremely depressing. Also, don't rush yourself.

the problem is most likely your study habit. if you study more and take more practice tests, you'll do better this time around. it's almost always that simple. You'll be fine.

TPR course is pretty good (the hyperlearning books are very easy to follow too)... just be sure to do all the problems in the science workbook and look at the solutions...very helpful.

Thanks everyone! This really made me feel better.

I definitely will not give up my dream of becoming a doctor. I will take the course and nail this!!

Also a trick that helped me out was as soon as I took the MCAT, I immediately signed up again and took it 2 weeks later (or the earliest time that you can for me it was 2 weeks) and did much better on the second.

i did this the second time I took the MCAT -- without seeing my first scores -- and I scored 2 points lower.... so unless you are positive of your weaknesses, I wouldn't recommend it.

I took the MCAT three times and was accepted. Raised my third test 4 points compared to my first test (mainly it was the jump in my physics score that I needed .... a 7 to a 11. I hate physics and gen chem)

The one thing I would say to those having a hard time with the MCAT is consider that it is not "the hardest exam you're going to take." You need to sit down and figure out what it is about the test you're having a hard time with it: for a lot of people it is the test-taking itself. If thats the case you need to figure out why you are a poor test taker and fix it.

You have 3 more exams (Step 1, 2, 3) and then your actually boards for your specialty which you will retake every few years. If you are a poor test taker you could have a very hard time with your steps or your boards (board pass rates for many specialties is quite low).

Figure it out and fix it now. This isn't one test you need to push your way through and then fight your way into medical school. Its bigger than that. How much worse would it be to get into medical school and then not be able to be licensed. Rare but happens.

Not trying to be discouraging, just pointing out another perspective. Its probably not the subject matter, its far more likely your test taking skills.

I would normally agree with this when it comes to people getting C's in pre-med courses and B's when they retake them... I think the MCAT is a crappy test that college courses don't exactly prepare you for. I did average on the MCAT, but well above average on step 1 and even better on step 2. Med school actually prepares you for the step exams, and they are relevant.

Yet, I still agree that if the one isn't able to hit 9's on the science sections, something is wrong with their fund of knowledge or the way they take tests.

I have applied 3 times and taken the MCAT 3 times as well. Third time was definately the charm bc I did better on my MCAT, received 9 interview invites and currently hold 3 acceptances. I think if you have a dream, go for it. Don't worry about how it will look to Adcoms, the only thing they will think is that you are driven and will continue to strive to do better. I was actually commended in several of my interviews for continuously increasing my MCAT score and activities each time I applied. If this is your dream, nothing should hold you back. Take your MCAT and look at it as something you HAVE to do. The adcoms will appreciate your persistance.

Except that it's much smarter to NOT take the test until your practice scores are roughly where you need them to be. Taking the test a million times hoping to get lucky is not a wise plan.

Also, I would not apply with really poor numbers either. Wait until you have a decent shot at the test and at getting accepted, and do each once (if possible).

I don't know about PR MCAT courses, but kaplan sucks as do their practice exams.. you can consistently score high 35-40 on the kaplan practice exams,then go to the AAMC mock exams and score 30-35.. the differential is ridiculous.

What were your MCAT scores?

i don't know about pr mcat courses, but kaplan sucks as do their practice exams.. You can consistently score high 35-40 on the kaplan practice exams,then go to the aamc mock exams and score 30-35.. The differential is ridiculous.

+1

Agreed. Those tests were the best indicator for my score. The Kaplan ones definitely weren't and were extremely depressing. Also, don't rush yourself.

I don't know about PR MCAT courses, but kaplan sucks as do their practice exams.. you can consistently score high 35-40 on the kaplan practice exams,then go to the AAMC mock exams and score 30-35.. the differential is ridiculous.

So, wait... are the Kaplan tests harder or easier? I thought Kaustikos was implying that they were harder, but maybe not. I had read that Kaplan's were mostly harder, especially the diagnostic.

^^
ive heard that the kaplan diagnostic is really hard, and their follow up practice exams are easy b/c they have a money back guarantee if you do worse than you diagnostic

It's not that Kaplan tests are easier. The content is harder than the AAMCs, I think. They are graded on a weird scale. You can miss a LOT of questions and still get a high score. So it gets you in the habit of guessing since the wrong answers aren't really penalized much on the Kaplan tests. On the real thing, however, guessing too much equals a much lower score.

It's not that Kaplan tests are easier. The content is harder than the AAMCs, I think. They are graded on a weird scale. You can miss a LOT of questions and still get a high score. So it gets you in the habit of guessing since the wrong answers aren't really penalized much on the Kaplan tests. On the real thing, however, guessing too much equals a much lower score.

+1million! Kaplan's scaled score is much different than AAMCs. Towards full length 7-8 on Kaplan, I got in the habit of not caring as much if I didn't know a question because the scaled score was a lenient one.