Extremely stressed, possibility of being kicked out of medical school

Sep 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I have an upcoming exam in a few days. This is the final exam of my first year of Medical school. I took a gap year because I didn't pass it at the end of last year and now I am about to do it again for the fourth time. This exam is written, consisting of 6 parts covering information on the cell, metabolism, signalling, genetics, embryology and immunology. I am so extremely stressed, and I'm not sure how to cope with it. This is my last attempt. I am studying abroad in Prague (I'm from Canada) and I feel so alone. I have been studying like crazy all year but I feel like my efforts are in vain. Can anyone give me any advice study wise or how to cope with the information overload? Thanks for reading.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Very sorry to hear of this. For starters, get help for the stress.

Reactions: Cura_te_ipsum

Cura_te_ipsum

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Sep 4, 2017
Status
Medical Student
wow. I felt stress for you after reading your post

From an outsider US American point of view, you have many elements that comprise the perfect storm. Reach out to your school counseling services for support asap. You should not proceed solo but have someone supporting you: therapist, counselor, clinician, etc

About the Ads

Beautiful Sunset

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Very sorry to hear of this. For starters, get help for the stress.
Help for the stress. As someone who knows all, but never was able to get into medical school. Let me explain something to you. There is nothing that can be done to alleviate this stress. It will dissipate after the test. Make sure you learn the information and be able to apply it. A superficial understanding won't help you.

NeurologyHopeful2018

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I have an upcoming exam in a few days. This is the final exam of my first year of Medical school. I took a gap year because I didn't pass it at the end of last year and now I am about to do it again for the fourth time. This exam is written, consisting of 6 parts covering information on the cell, metabolism, signalling, genetics, embryology and immunology. I am so extremely stressed, and I'm not sure how to cope with it. This is my last attempt. I am studying abroad in Prague (I'm from Canada) and I feel so alone. I have been studying like crazy all year but I feel like my efforts are in vain. Can anyone give me any advice study wise or how to cope with the information overload? Thanks for reading.
Relax. If you cannot pass it after 4 attempts - you know you are not meant to be a doctor. I was also super stressed during my first year - but looking back on it now - it is a cakewalk compared to studying for Step 1, Step 2, excelling on time intensive rotations AND getting a good score on the shelf.

Reactions: Beautiful Sunset

Beautiful Sunset

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Relax. If you cannot pass it after 4 attempts - you know you are not meant to be a doctor. I was also super stressed during my first year - but looking back on it now - it is a cakewalk compared to studying for Step 1, Step 2, excelling on time intensive rotations AND getting a good score on the shelf.
If you know the content, you will pass.

Jun 24, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
A lot of people have been giving you **** advice. I believe in you, you are a future doctor, you are the future of healthcare - we need you - you can do this.

Reactions: kovalchuk71

md hope

2+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Think about all the time and effort you have put into preparing for the test and know it will be worth it. Good luck!

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How did you go on your exam? I hope better than feared.

Reactions: mistafab
About the Ads