Extremely untraditional applicant, post bacc sgpa 3.2, post bacc cgpa 3.3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cloverly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help!!! I have a very unusual situation and nobody seems to have any answers. I am planning to apply this year. I am 28.

I have been working full-time in public health for 4 years. I got my undergrad degree in business administration in Asia, with a GPA of 3.1. (Yes, I am a US citizen.) Then I moved to the US and got an MA in Marketing Communications, and my GPA was 3.7. I then decided to switch fields and started a pre-med post-bacc at Harvard Extension; my sGPA was 3.2 and my cGPA was 3.3.

I am taking my MCATs in two weeks and honestly I think I will probably get a total score in the mid-20s.

What are my chances?? Any suggestions for schools? Should I just apply to DO schools? Do I need to take any more classes??? Will my undergrad GPA from abroad even count?? Which GPA will schools look at, my undergrad or my post-bacc??? Will my masters even count??? Anything else I should do??? I listed all my stats and my ECs below. Help and honest advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much.

Full time work in public health, 2006-present

Post Bacc, Harvard Extension, 2005-2009:

Fall Term 2009 MATH E-3 Quant Reasoning: Practical Math A
Spring Term 2009 PHYS E-1B Principles of Physics II B
Fall Term 2008 PHYS E-1A Principles of Physics I B
Summer Term 2008 PSYC S-1875 Psychopaths, Terrorists B+
Spring Term 2008 BIOL E-1B Organismic, Evolutionary Biol A-
Fall Term 2007 BIOL E-1A Molecular and Cellular Biology B-
Summer Term 2007 PSYC S-1240 Abnormal Psychology A-
Spring Term 2007 CHEM E-2B Organic Chemistry II B+
Spring Term 2007 ENGL E-157 The Makers of Modern Poetry B-
Fall Term 2006 CHEM E-2A Organic Chemistry I B+
Fall Term 2006 CREA E-25 Intro to Fiction Writing A-
Spring Term 2006 CHEM E-1B General Chemistry II B
Fall Term 2005 CHEM E-1A General Chemistry I B

post bacc Sci + math GPA: 3.2
post bacc Cumulative GPA: 3.3

MA in Marketing Communications, 2005 (IN THE US) GPA: 3.7
Bachelor’s in Business Administration, 2002 (FROM ASIA) GPA: 3.1

Extracurriculars:

Volunteer at a Children’s Hospital 2005-2008
Founder and leader of health-related book club 2006-2007
Shadowed a MD and volunteered at a hospital in Asia, August 2007
Read books and recorded for the blind and dyslexic, Aug 2006

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats (assuming an MCAT in the mid-20s) would make allopathic schools a reach. I would aim for DO. Apply early and broadly, and I think you'd have a good chance. However, many DO schools need a letter from a DO, so I would try to find one to shadow asap.

For MD schools: It's my understanding that you'll need 60-90 undergrad credits (varies by school) earned at accredited US colleges, including all of the prerequisites. You'd need to submit an official evaluation of your overseas undergrad work (through WES or equivalent) to each school you apply to, as AMCAS won't include it on their transcript. Since your undergrad GPA was so low, maybe this will work in your favor, and maybe not. Unfortunately, your masters doesn't count as more than an interesting EC in the MD application process.

Unfortunately, you have not excelled in your recent coursework. Even if your MCAT score were extraordinarily high, so as to compensate for the low GPA, your ECs are problematic as well, considering you have no recent clinical experience. You need to shadow US physicians. You have no recent nonmedical community service. I see no research or teaching mentioned. I see no recent leadership.

With your projected MCAT in the twenties, and the mentioned areas that need work, I honestly think you'd be wasting your time to try applying to MD schools at this time.

Why not ask your question again in the PreMed Osteopathic, "What are my chances?" thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much.

Where is the DO "What are my chances" thread? I can't seem to find it...