EY 2021 HPSP Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvester500

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening fellow aspiring physicians.

I am planning on entering medical school next fall (2021). I currently have one acceptance, and now I am planning other details beyond simply getting in, while I root for everyone else still awaiting that well-deserved first acceptance.

One of these aspects is the following decision: HPSP or not? I imagine others are currently considering this decision, and I wanted to establish a comprehensive discussion thread for similar minds to bounce ideas off on another. I will preface this thread.

1) I am well aware of the "golden rule" of HPSP: don't do it solely for the money.

2) I am not only considering HPSP for the sake of the monetary aspects.

3) I am considering the following reasons:
-Opportunities to practice acute healthcare delivery (EM, Critical Care / Trauma Surgery, Anesthesia) far forward and in unique or austere environments. I love a challenge and I love the rush of acute healthcare delivery. It's all I have done professionally and more or less all I want to do.
-Opportunities to deliver medicine to the most medically underserved people in the world (humanitarian efforts to serve civilians in countries the U.S. military is currently stationed)
-Treatment of a unified and otherwise very good patient population (common bond between soldiers)

I am thus conceptualizing HPSP pursuit as, "Only do it if you want to practice medicine in the military (which is actually a very nuanced decision, see point 3 above) and get payment upfront for choosing to do so."

Open and hoping for further discussion.

Members don't see this ad.