Eyeglass lenses have chalky white edge -- is it not polished?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgv

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a Visionworks retailer and the woman there told me that for my thick lenses the white chalky edges were normal and that I shouldn't go to another optician because they would do the same thing. That sounded sketchy. I looked around online and some people say that the technician was supposed to polish the edge to get rid of the white chalky edges. Is the Visionworks lady telling the truth?

Members don't see this ad.

She is right in saying that the edges were "normal". That's just how the lenses looks when they are cut. Rolling and polishing the edges is a special order. It is usually an extra charge, and pretty much only done on rimless frames or maybe some semi-rimless frames. If you have a semi-rimless or full frame that just has edges sticking out the sides, then yeah, that's normal. You can always ask if they can do a remake with polished edges, but I'm sure you'll get a charge for it, unless they decide to be nice about it. :)

Reactions: 1 user
She is right in saying that the edges were "normal". That's just how the lenses looks when they are cut. Rolling and polishing the edges is a special order. It is usually an extra charge, and pretty much only done on rimless frames or maybe some semi-rimless frames. If you have a semi-rimless or full frame that just has edges sticking out the sides, then yeah, that's normal. You can always ask if they can do a remake with polished edges, but I'm sure you'll get a charge for it, unless they decide to be nice about it. :)
Oh okay! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay! Thanks!

I wouldn't necessarily advocate polished edges.

That said, this isn't a forum in which to seek professional advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.