Benny

15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2002
Visit site
Status
I have a red light in my room instead of a normal white one. Will extended exposure to this light effect my vision at all ?

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2002
In a dark room
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
Assuming you read in your room, as long as you have enough illumination to read comfortably (no headaches), no prob.

A lot of instrumentation designed to be used at night -- auto dashboard lights, aircraft instrumentation, military gauges -- are illuminated with red light because it is the least disruptive to "night vision". Gauges that are lit with any other color cause your eyes to adjust to the light, and when you look away into darkness it takes your eyes a few seconds/minutes to readjust to the darkness. Red light does not have this problem. Nothing at all to do with your question, I just think it's really cool...

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2001
Tampa
Status
Optometrist
like r_salis said as long as it's bright enough you should be fine. If you start to get eye strain you should definitely switch back to normal white light. As I'm sure you know it will effect your color vision, but if it's just in your room it shouldn't be a problem.