1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Eyes Question

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by Benny, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Benny

Benny New Member

I have a red light in my room instead of a normal white one. Will extended exposure to this light effect my vision at all ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Assuming you read in your room, as long as you have enough illumination to read comfortably (no headaches), no prob.

A lot of instrumentation designed to be used at night -- auto dashboard lights, aircraft instrumentation, military gauges -- are illuminated with red light because it is the least disruptive to "night vision". Gauges that are lit with any other color cause your eyes to adjust to the light, and when you look away into darkness it takes your eyes a few seconds/minutes to readjust to the darkness. Red light does not have this problem. Nothing at all to do with your question, I just think it's really cool...

4. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    like r_salis said as long as it's bright enough you should be fine. If you start to get eye strain you should definitely switch back to normal white light. As I'm sure you know it will effect your color vision, but if it's just in your room it shouldn't be a problem.

5. Benny

Benny New Member

how will it effect my colour vision ?