Eyes Wide Shut movie mentions osteopathy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO Boy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me please, but I was watching Eyes Wide Shut one recent night, and I could've sworn that at the beginning of the movie, the host of the party said to Tom Cruise, "Thanks for the referral to that osteopath. He did a world of good for my pain, but I can't say much about the bill!" (or something to that effect).

The line caught me by surprise, but since I saw movie on DirectTV, I couldn't rewind it. Funny how now that I'm going to be a DO, things like this seem to stand out more.

Am I right or was I just hearing things? If true, anyone know how a line like that gets written into a big production movie? Is this the work of the AOA Unity thing? cuz I as far as I know, AOA Unity doesn't do diddly squat.

DO Boy
TCOM 04

Members don't see this ad.

You heard correctly!!!! I was impressed also myself!!!

A funny thing you asked about how that could get into a major movie production. Jon Fong DO, a WesternU/COMP alum & ER doc, is one of the advisors for the ER tv show on NBC. He lectures also to WesternU/COMP medical students & we always ask him when are they gonna mention some osteopathy. He says if you have a good script or idea that can include osteopathy then the producers may consider.

So, until the time comes where an MVA pt comes into the ER with a painful stiff neck & low back pain & Dr Green or Weaver orders some pain killers w/ an osteopathic consult, then we are stuck seeing a psychotic pt stabbing the med student & resident b/c they did a lumbar puncture on him. In other words, whatever can bring in the ratings!!
biggrin.gif
Any suggestions anyone?

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

That's crazy! I was watching Seinfeld re-runs the other night and noticed Kramer mention osteopathy too! It was the episode when they all are going to a party and Jerry and Elaine goto the bakery and George and Kramer goto the liquor store so they will all come bearing gifts. Kramer mentions that he doesn't have his wallet on him and says something like "my osteopath said it throws my hips off kilter". I thought it was hilarious but I was very surprised!

------------------
Erica

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't D.O.'s DIFFERENT from Osteopaths? This is what I have understood to be true, as Osteopaths are the "traditional" European style practitioners who do not have any training in medicine other than that of the manipulation techniques.

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Well, it's kinda neat to hear osteopathy in particular being mentioned on TV, and I'm glad I wasn't having any aural hallucinations or anything.

I wonder if this is a widespread phenomenon? I would think not, b/c I never hear about osteopathy in the media at all.

DO Boy

I agree with JPHazelton, "osteopath" and "osteopathic physician" are two different things. As a matter of fact, it makes me cringe that an American show will make reference to "osteopaths". It isn't enough that many people don't even know what a D.O. is and now we will have to contend with those who will think that we are "bone setters" thanks to TV sitcoms?! Unfortunately, people watch sitcoms more than they read AOA advertising...

Actually, the movie was originally designed to premier in Europe, as it contained many Kubrikish scenes not fit for American viewers. But just the same, the fact that a false impression of Osteopathic Medicine may be derived from this one signle line is disheartening.
Maybe we should all write letters to Tom Criuse comnplaining of this injustice.
Or, better yet, lets all join a Cruise fan club and bash him!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

We could also go on the Rosie show and complain..hehehe....

"Conflict brings results...though the results may not be positive, they are results nonetheless."

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

I've caught the "osteopath" comments in both "Eyes Wide Shut" and on an episode of "Seinfeld," but I take it along a similar vein as when any show mentions "chiropractors."

If I knew NOTHING about osteopathy, I'd think it had something to do with muscle aches and sports injuries, which many people commonly associate with their local chiropractor.

In "Eyes Wide Shut," the host of the party mentions his tennis serve is much better thanks to his osteopath.

On "Seinfeld," Kramer mentions he doesn't put his wallet in his back-pocket because his osteopath says it throws off his balance.

All of this sounds a little chiropractic-esque to me.

Tim of New York City.

You guys watch too much TV. But seriously osteopaths are a minority; as any minority will tell you, misconceptions are rampant and will continue to a large degree.
Now, I hate to be a nitpicker, but look up the terms in the dictionary. Granted definitions will vary but in one reference Osteopath was defined as:
A physician who practices osteopathy. http://www.bartleby.com/61/064/A0062464.html

In any case once I graduate if someone asks me if I'm an osteopath I'll smile and say yes. (Maybe if my ego needs coaxing I'll add, 'An osteopathic physician,' or mention my specialty.)
Laters

I agree with Alex. Don't fall into the trap of being too easily offended. Who cares what you're called -- D.O., osteopath, physician. You and those you work with will know what you do and your work will speak for itself. Respect is privilege that is earned, not a rite of passage. I think sometimes we look for discrimination, and, if we look hard enough, we can find it even where it doesn't exist.

Besides, what we're talking about here is a movie and a sitcom. Lighten up; it's just T.V. I doubt that the vast majority of viewers caught, or cared about for that matter, the obscure reference. Life's short, just laugh with Kramer instead of worrying about what he calls his physician.

[This message has been edited by togo (edited 05-23-2000).]

You know, I don't really care what 'DOs' are called either. In fact, I think of osteopaths and osteopathic physicians as synonymous (although maybe I shouldn't but who cares?).

All I think is that it's neat that osteopathy was mentioned in the media. I mean how many times have u even heard about it? I, for one, can count the number of times I've heard of it on one hand (three fingers to be exact). All I'm saying is that I think it's 'neat-o'. No big deal.

DO Boy