F-1 Visa status and the impact on student trainees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justanothergrad

Counseling Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ICE changes for visa status has some troubling impacts on international students. With online courses, they may be required to leave the country (as currently described this is how it will work). I know that COGDOP is discussing ways in which to support students - this may involve F2F research hours and such, but still.. Personal opinion that seems fairly clear, this is an opportunistic way in which to expel immigrants rather than a focus on better educational practices.

EcQ11KIXgAAdwqd.png

Related (also shared on COGDOP) - a White house petition to alter the current rules for very clear reasons

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I definitely find this to be duplicitous. At the same time, it seems that the students most likely to be impacted by this are undergrads. The stats show that China sends the most undergrads to the US. This is another battle in the current China war. I’m in support for demonstrating support for psychology grad students. And I’m am left wondering if this will actually have any serious ramifications on psychology grad students.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely find this to be duplicitous. At the same time, it seems that the students most likely to be impacted by this are undergrads. The stats show that China sends the most undergrads to the US. This is another battle in the current China war. I’m in support for demonstrating support for psychology grad students. And I’m am left wondering if this will actually have any serious ramifications on psychology grad students.

We have at least a handful of clinical psych grad students in our state who have already contacted our state association to see what we're doing. Programs are trying to shift their programs to make sure that they qualify. Additionally, there is some concern about students under this designation who are currently on internship, as they are technically enrolled in their programs, but are not technically taking "in-person" classes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have at least a handful of clinical psych grad students in our state who have already contacted our state association to see what we're doing. Programs are trying to shift their programs to make sure that they qualify. Additionally, there is some concern about students under this designation who are currently on internship, as they are technically enrolled in their programs, but are not technically taking "in-person" classes.
I understand the concern. For grad students they can easily provide evidence of doing this in-person. Like trainees doing therapy during internship. I was simply trying to highlight that the concern is greater among undergrads. If grad students have a decent program they will likely be able to find a simple solution. Again, I find the whole thing to be harmful and uses students as chess pieces in the president’s desire to punish colleges and China.

I understand the concern. For grad students they can easily provide evidence of doing this in-person. Like trainees doing therapy during internship. I was simply trying to highlight that the concern is greater among undergrads. If grad students have a decent program they will likely be able to find a simple solution. Again, I find the whole thing to be harmful and uses students as chess pieces in the president’s desire to punish colleges and China.

It definitely affects undergrads even more, per capita and raw numbers wise as that population is huge. Don't forget the financial impact this has on universities and colleges who are already in dire straits. International students account for a much higher per capita revenue source than US students. They essentially subsidize US students at many places. This is bad for both international and US students.

Reactions: 1 users
Was just updated at my university. The bar is pretty low: 3 credits in-person count, or a hybrid course where more time is in-person/on-campus.

Seems like a simple workaround for the vast majority of grad students.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 6 users