f*ed up in bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nisarg2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as a freshmen with AP Bio credit, I decided not to take it thinking taking it again would be an easy A. I just got my first test score back (104/140). No there is basically no chance of me getting an A in the class. I am really worried about this especially since I took calc 2 and 3 in high school and got a B in clac 2 and an A in clac 3. So my GPA was 3.5 going into college. Now with another B in Bio am is totally f*ed?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this completely totally and irrevocably obliterates any chance you had of ever attending medical school. If you get LUCKY you might be accepted into a Caribbean school. You might as well drop out of college right now and just take up a job flipping burgers as you are obviously lacking the qualifications to practice any type of healthcare for the rest of ever.

So as a freshmen with AP Bio credit, I decided not to take it thinking taking it again would be an easy A. I just got my first test score back (104/140). No there is basically no chance of me getting an A in the class. I am really worried about this especially since I took calc 2 and 3 in high school and got a B in clac 2 and an A in clac 3. So my GPA was 3.5 going into college. Now with another B in Bio am is totally f*ed?

First of all, a few B's are not going to kill your chances. Yes, your goal is to keep as high of a GPA as you possibly can, but that does not mean anyone expects it to be perfect. Take a look at MDapps, or any of the numerous posts on this board of members' stats, and you'll see a perfect 4.0 is quite rare, so everybody else has at least received one or more B's.

Second, it sounds like maybe you were underestimating the class and being a bit arrogant about it based on your HS experience. Just let it be a wakeup call, light a fire under you to make sure it doesn't happen again, and really treat everything seriously from here on out. A lot of people slip up here and there their first year...just gotta learn from it and don't repeat whatever you did.

I'm not really sure how your calc grades factor into this. Are you saying you're worried about taking calc in college? Are you saying those grades are somehow going to affect your college GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically, you are asking if your GPA will remain at a 3.5 even though you have ~115 units left to take till you graduate? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Your school should have academic/study advisors, right? A "B" or two your freshmen year doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, provided it doesn't become a habit. Many people aren't prepared for the jump in effort required to succeed at the college level. Instead of freaking out over the grade received or may receive, you should be trying to understand what went wrong in your study attempts. It is a transitional year; it's your time to figure out how to balance your new personal freedom with a successful study program.

A few B/AB/A- grades my freshman/sophomore years didn't keep me from finishing with ~3.9.

Yeah. Sorry. Off to the Caribbeans with you.

First of all, a few B's are not going to kill your chances. Yes, your goal is to keep as high of a GPA as you possibly can, but that does not mean anyone expects it to be perfect. Take a look at MDapps, or any of the numerous posts on this board of members' stats, and you'll see a perfect 4.0 is quite rare, so everybody else has at least received one or more B's.

Second, it sounds like maybe you were underestimating the class and being a bit arrogant about it based on your HS experience. Just let it be a wakeup call, light a fire under you to make sure it doesn't happen again, and really treat everything seriously from here on out. A lot of people slip up here and there their first year...just gotta learn from it and don't repeat whatever you did.

I'm not really sure how your calc grades factor into this. Are you saying you're worried about taking calc in college? Are you saying those grades are somehow going to affect your college GPA?
:thumbdown:thumbdown Dude you totally lack scarcasm. He was just bashing the dude for posting a dumb ***** question. Just as all the other "Oh I got a B+ in bio which will drop my gpa to a 3.99, Can I still get in Im so worried" threads...He deserved it. Oh and no you will not get in unless you go to the caribbeans of course;)

Do you mind? We're trying to keep our 1:5 (nice:flame) ratio.

:thumbdown:thumbdown Dude you totally lack scarcasm. He was just bashing the dude for posting a dumb ***** question. Just as all the other "Oh I got a B+ in bio which will drop my gpa to a 3.99, Can I still get in Im so worried" threads...He deserved it. Oh and no you will not get in unless you go to the caribbeans of course;)

I understand sarcasm, and understand the poster above me was using it. I wasn't responding to their post, though, I was responding to the OP's questions.

It's not a requirement that everyone must inject douche-y snark into every post. If there's anything more silly than posting the 1,000th "I got a B, what do I do??!1" question, it's posting some asinine 4chan macro or the banal Caribbean/DO remark in response to it. What's the point? The OP had a legitimate concern, so why not either address it or ignore it if you find it so offensive?

Yes, this completely totally and irrevocably obliterates any chance you had of ever attending medical school. If you get LUCKY you might be accepted into a Caribbean school. You might as well drop out of college right now and just take up a job flipping burgers as you are obviously lacking the qualifications to practice any type of healthcare for the rest of ever.

f*ing hilarious man. brilliant. exactly the response OP deserves.

Calm down OP. We don't need more neurotic pre-meds in this world.

I understand sarcasm, and understand the poster above me was using it. I wasn't responding to their post, though, I was responding to the OP's questions.

It's not a requirement that everyone must inject douche-y snark into every post. If there's anything more silly than posting the 1,000th "I got a B, what do I do??!1" question, it's posting some asinine 4chan macro or the banal Caribbean/DO remark in response to it. What's the point? The OP had a legitimate concern, so why not either address it or ignore it if you find it so offensive?

Thank you for giving a give me a straight answer.

I understand that 1 or 2 B's wont destroy me but hearing it from people much wiser and with much more exprience with this kinda thing helps me relax.

I understand that 1 or 2 B's wont destroy me but hearing it from people much wiser and with much more exprience with this kinda thing helps me relax.

Bs, Cs hurt. But getting some B's in the end wont kill your chances for sure.I have B+s in my bio grades, it happens. I made up by doing better in upper division, harder classes. My point is nisar do your best, try to get A's, and that's it. Getting B's sucks, but try to get more A's in the end. You're good Nisar just try to do your best. Gl.

Calm down OP. We don't need more neurotic pre-meds in this world.
But then Pre-Allo would lose 95% of its traffic and we wouldn't have neurotic premeds to make snide comments about.

I'm pretty you sure all premeds are neurotic at one point or another.