F Forms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boots229

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've posted this question before but it was a while back so wanted to get some new opinions.

I had form FG and I thought it sucked in all sorts of ways. I didn't finish verbal and had to guess at the end, PS was pretty hard, and do not get me started on BS....that was impossible.

I found myself guessing a lot throughout the entire exam and I just feel really bad about it. I know I should let it go and just hope for the best but I need some other opinions.

anything will help. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had FG too, and I dont know , but it was werid that throughout the test, I felt like I had not studied anything for the damn test. I guessed my ass off throughout the exam....

I just need to pray now...

Anyone else feel like that?

Hi everyone, I've posted this question before but it was a while back so wanted to get some new opinions.

I had form FG and I thought it sucked in all sorts of ways. I didn't finish verbal and had to guess at the end, PS was pretty hard, and do not get me started on BS....that was impossible.

I found myself guessing a lot throughout the entire exam and I just feel really bad about it. I know I should let it go and just hope for the best but I need some other opinions.

anything will help. thanks

Hi there,

I had an F form as well. I've avoided coming to this forum for the past few days, because allowing myself to think about my score just stresses me out. It took a few days of mojitos and Magic Hat to forget the MCAT ever happened, so I'm trying to keep it out of my head until the scores come out.

I'm somewhat far removed from my undergraduate science courses, so really felt that I had to put a tremendous amount of work in to do well on the MCAT. I studied for three months solid, at least ten hours a day (I know, I know - but I really just did not want to have to retake this exam), and felt that I couldn't have been more prepared come August 19. On practice exams (both Kaplan full-lengths, as well as the old AAMC tests), I was scoring 35-37s.

I left the real MCAT thinking I'd be lucky to score half of that. Seriously.

I thought the physical sciences was challenging. Some of the passages were very straighforward, but towards the end, I got the impression that there were a lot of trick questions interspersed throughout, and I'm afraid that I didn't catch all of them. After finishing that section, I contemplated voiding. I felt I didn't do well at all.

Then came verbal. I spent far too much time trying to figure out whether Drake was a thief, who stole ceramics from whom, etc... and ended up rushing towards the end. Though I was fortunate that I did have the chance to read every passage and think about every question, I know I was glazing, still obsessing over Drake - and when I glaze, I get rocked. Felt even worse about verbal than I did about physical sciences, and again, contemplated voiding the exam at that point and just retaking in January.

Then, however, I got to bio. It was insane, unlike anything I had ever seen. The passages were so ridiculously dense, there was a very heavy emphasis on molecular bio, and the orgo questions seemed so much more advanced than the material previously tested on the AAMC practice exams. Bio was my strongest section going into the MCAT, but now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll at least get a few points for bubbling in my name. By the time the exam was over (6:15pm - many thanks to the proctor who apparently thought the MCAT was an opportunity to attempt his stand-up comedy skills), I realized that there was no way I was voiding those scores. I wasted an entire day on that exam (not to mention a whole summer), and I really just wanted to see my scores - good or bad.

A week-and-a-half later, I'm feeling much better - not because I think I actually performed well, but more because I've been able to forget about the challenging questions I was obsessing over in the days immediately after the exam.

I wrote in an earlier post that I don't even know how to predict a score, since it's all curved, and I'm sure we all underestimate our abilities on actual test day given the tremendous amount of second-guessing we've been doing. I imagine many of our sentiments can be attributed to post-MCAT anxiety (now that I'm not studying night and day, I have way too much time to think about how I did). If you found the F form to be difficult - more so than the practice AAMCs - chances are you're not alone (you at least have me on your side), and this will be reflected in the curve for the F form.

Just an aside: I took the GRE a few years back. It's actually administered on the computer, and if you opt not to void your scores, you get your verbal and math scores at the testing center, as soon as you've completed your exam (writing is graded at a later date). Again, after I finished that exam, I felt so uncertain - much like I'm feeling now after the MCAT, and much like you're feeling - and thought I got rocked on the verbal (though the GRE math is cake, the verbal is very challenging - on par with MCAT verbal). For about thirty seconds, I sat and stared at the computer screen, thinking I had gotten an embarrassingly low score (again, same way I am feeling now), and that it would destroy my chances for grad school if I chose to click on the "Submit for Scores" button rather than the "Void Exam" button. I was just really curious to know how I did, though, so I ended up choosing "Submit", and scored above the 96th percentile on the verbal section. I think it's only natural to feel nervous about the real thing, especially during this waiting period (fortunately, the GRE waiting period was only thirty seconds) - but chances are, if you were scoring well on the practice exams, you'll score well on the real thing. If I were you, I'd be concerned if I walked out of the MCAT thinking it was easy - then, there would really be something wrong!

By the way - I'm not one of those obnoxious over-achievers looking for sympathy because I'm afraid I may have only scored a 35 instead of a 40. I really felt the exam was challenging, to the point where I'm afraid my score will be so low that it will appear as a typo.

Best of luck to you!

what the hell was up with that Drake passage. I think i guessed on pretty much every single question on that passage. I was so confused who was trading with who, who was stealing. I think someone from California might have an advantage with that one. But what a terrible passage. Poorly written and boring to boot. Not a good combination. I dont see how reading that passage will predict how you will do in med school. Needless to say, i was shaken by the verbal and got owned. I am praying for an 8. On the other sections, physical wasnt too bad, but harder towards the end and there did seem to be a lot of trick questions. Bio I actually thought wasnt too bad. I thought the orgo was harder than usual but thought i reasoned my way through most of the answers. That graph that took up half the page was rediculous but i think i ended up figuring most of the asnwers out. At least the ones with numbers. good luck to us all

Members don't see this ad :)
I had FG as well and felt very similar to everyone else who has already posted.
I was extremely surprised by the BS and felt that no additional studying would have really helped (basically because I was studying general concepts and I did not feel like general concepts were tested).
Now that I have a week or 2 on the test I feel a little calmer, not that I think I did better but I have been getting back to the rest of my life and am beginning to put things in to perspective.
I am trying not to obsess for the next 2 months since that is silly and changes nothing.
Rest assurred that everyone (I think) feels very similar to how you are feeling.

During college exams, it was always good to have a hard test and try your best on than an easy one where you made careless mistakes (and suddenly fell below the mean).

Haha, can I just say I love this thread....

Physical and verbal for me.... if at the end of the day the bio was easy I would have probably said they were tough.... but I was taken so off guard by the bio the I thought the first two sections were a sinch... probably all relative though... I did see physical get harder at the end... rotational question about the space machine... verbal the drake passage was the toughest and took the most time for me but I thought I figured it out... and overall got through verbal ok.... found the reading was easier but the questions a bit trickier...

Bio... I've already mentioned above... I just don't know... someone had to proofread that section and laugh knowing what shock it was about to put a bunch of pre meds in.... I feel even if you read the passages like a pro and did really really well... the whole thing was so convoluted that you couldn't really know you did that well.... There wasn't enough certainty in the questions or the answers.... So I'm praying for a good curve and a 10 in bio....

Best of luck everyone... hopefully us F'ers will be those ones come score day that get a 13 in bio.... despite thinking we bombed it and then can have everyone else on SDN get mad saying we were a bunch of whiners for complaining about our form... lol

The more I read about people with F forms on here, the calmer I become. I had FK and got hung up on every passage mentioned in this thread. In fact, all that I clearly remember from the test is the Drake passage, the giant chart in bio that made no sense, and the angular car passage in PS. The single (at least the only one I recall) orgo passage was rather difficult too since I was running out of time.
I have always been proud of my scores in BS and VR and my PS scores were improving w/ each practice test I took. With BS i could almost get away w/out reading the passage. On the real deal, I too felt like I had to guess more than anything on all sections.

I haven't heard anyone talk about their WS though. I had to write an essay on art cencorship and the responsibility of the rich to help the poor. The former was straight from my VR section which made it hard to be original. I have to admit that I was so shaken after the VR section that my essays probably resemble something written by a 4th grader. lol.

I'm trying to forget about the whole thing for now, but its good to know that other people with F forms feel the same way. I know that there are alot of smart people on here and I couldn't have studied any harder myself. We can only hope the curve is generous but just in case I do end up getting crushed october 16th, I have already convinced myself that I'll be taking it again in January just so I am prepared for the worst. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Hi there,

I had an F form as well. I've avoided coming to this forum for the past few days, because allowing myself to think about my score just stresses me out. It took a few days of mojitos and Magic Hat to forget the MCAT ever happened, so I'm trying to keep it out of my head until the scores come out.

I'm somewhat far removed from my undergraduate science courses, so really felt that I had to put a tremendous amount of work in to do well on the MCAT. I studied for three months solid, at least ten hours a day (I know, I know - but I really just did not want to have to retake this exam), and felt that I couldn't have been more prepared come August 19. On practice exams (both Kaplan full-lengths, as well as the old AAMC tests), I was scoring 35-37s.

I left the real MCAT thinking I'd be lucky to score half of that. Seriously.

I thought the physical sciences was challenging. Some of the passages were very straighforward, but towards the end, I got the impression that there were a lot of trick questions interspersed throughout, and I'm afraid that I didn't catch all of them. After finishing that section, I contemplated voiding. I felt I didn't do well at all.

Then came verbal. I spent far too much time trying to figure out whether Drake was a thief, who stole ceramics from whom, etc... and ended up rushing towards the end. Though I was fortunate that I did have the chance to read every passage and think about every question, I know I was glazing, still obsessing over Drake - and when I glaze, I get rocked. Felt even worse about verbal than I did about physical sciences, and again, contemplated voiding the exam at that point and just retaking in January.

Then, however, I got to bio. It was insane, unlike anything I had ever seen. The passages were so ridiculously dense, there was a very heavy emphasis on molecular bio, and the orgo questions seemed so much more advanced than the material previously tested on the AAMC practice exams. Bio was my strongest section going into the MCAT, but now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll at least get a few points for bubbling in my name. By the time the exam was over (6:15pm - many thanks to the proctor who apparently thought the MCAT was an opportunity to attempt his stand-up comedy skills), I realized that there was no way I was voiding those scores. I wasted an entire day on that exam (not to mention a whole summer), and I really just wanted to see my scores - good or bad.

A week-and-a-half later, I'm feeling much better - not because I think I actually performed well, but more because I've been able to forget about the challenging questions I was obsessing over in the days immediately after the exam.

I wrote in an earlier post that I don't even know how to predict a score, since it's all curved, and I'm sure we all underestimate our abilities on actual test day given the tremendous amount of second-guessing we've been doing. I imagine many of our sentiments can be attributed to post-MCAT anxiety (now that I'm not studying night and day, I have way too much time to think about how I did). If you found the F form to be difficult - more so than the practice AAMCs - chances are you're not alone (you at least have me on your side), and this will be reflected in the curve for the F form.

Just an aside: I took the GRE a few years back. It's actually administered on the computer, and if you opt not to void your scores, you get your verbal and math scores at the testing center, as soon as you've completed your exam (writing is graded at a later date). Again, after I finished that exam, I felt so uncertain - much like I'm feeling now after the MCAT, and much like you're feeling - and thought I got rocked on the verbal (though the GRE math is cake, the verbal is very challenging - on par with MCAT verbal). For about thirty seconds, I sat and stared at the computer screen, thinking I had gotten an embarrassingly low score (again, same way I am feeling now), and that it would destroy my chances for grad school if I chose to click on the "Submit for Scores" button rather than the "Void Exam" button. I was just really curious to know how I did, though, so I ended up choosing "Submit", and scored above the 96th percentile on the verbal section. I think it's only natural to feel nervous about the real thing, especially during this waiting period (fortunately, the GRE waiting period was only thirty seconds) - but chances are, if you were scoring well on the practice exams, you'll score well on the real thing. If I were you, I'd be concerned if I walked out of the MCAT thinking it was easy - then, there would really be something wrong!

By the way - I'm not one of those obnoxious over-achievers looking for sympathy because I'm afraid I may have only scored a 35 instead of a 40. I really felt the exam was challenging, to the point where I'm afraid my score will be so low that it will appear as a typo.

Best of luck to you!

Were you at Swarthmore by any chance? I felt like I was the only one there who thought the proctor's jokes were total torture, since all I wanted to do was get out of there.

And I'm in the same boat as you in other ways - I studied hard, same score range, and felt pretty demoralized afterward. I still think about all the questions I had trouble with, though. Just can't get them out of my head.

Be careful, folks. Some of these posts are getting close to being too specific. Remember, it is fine to post general topics that you saw on your test, but you should not be posting specific questions, answers, or detailed summaries of the passages.

Were you at Swarthmore by any chance? I felt like I was the only one there who thought the proctor's jokes were total torture, since all I wanted to do was get out of there.

And I'm in the same boat as you in other ways - I studied hard, same score range, and felt pretty demoralized afterward. I still think about all the questions I had trouble with, though. Just can't get them out of my head.

Yup - I, too, was unfortunately assigned to Swarthmore. The proctor was so annoying! I'd actually heard horror stories about him in the weeks before the exam. Nice guy, I'm sure, but his jokes were worse than I anticipated - and never did I imagine they'd extend the day by several hours!!

I'm trying to forget about the whole thing for now, but its good to know that other people with F forms feel the same way. I know that there are alot of smart people on here and I couldn't have studied any harder myself.
What you've just mentioned is the most frustrating aspect of it all for me: the fact that I couldn't have studied any harder. It's not like there were "core" knowledge topics I hadn't studied, and I came out of the test kicking myself for not studying harder. There was nothing more I could have done to be better prepared for that BS section. I knew all the topics we were "supposed" to know cold--enzymes, digestive system, endocrine system, muscle, bone, DNA replication, mitosis & meiosis, viruses, etc. Almost none of that was on there; instead, the passages were all about advanced topics I'd never heard of before. In a way, this is worse, because it makes me feel helpless. I can't be mad at myself; I can only be mad at the AAMC. "Introductory undergraduate science courses" my butt.

It seems many of us feel the same way, though, so I'm really hoping the curve will be significant.

What you've just mentioned is the most frustrating aspect of it all for me: the fact that I couldn't have studied any harder. It's not like there were "core" knowledge topics I hadn't studied, and I came out of the test kicking myself for not studying harder. There was nothing more I could have done to be better prepared for that BS section. I knew all the topics we were "supposed" to know cold--enzymes, digestive system, endocrine system, muscle, bone, DNA replication, mitosis & meiosis, viruses, etc. Almost none of that was on there; instead, the passages were all about advanced topics I'd never heard of before. In a way, this is worse, because it makes me feel helpless. I can't be mad at myself; I can only be mad at the AAMC. "Introductory undergraduate science courses" my butt.

It seems many of us feel the same way, though, so I'm really hoping the curve will be significant.

For sure...I don't know if you used EK Bios 1001 Q's or not, but I did just for the extra practice and I was so psyched because I would get 90%+ right in every chapter. I think maybe 2 topics in that book were touched. As I was taking the test I kept thinking "high yield" my ass. Not that it isnt a great prep book, but I basically wasted my time. Fortunately I sold it for $170 on ebay 3 weeks before the test. I feel bad for that guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, i wrote FG as well. I also was rocking the practice exams. And yeah, i 'll be pretty damn surprised if i score within 10 points of my highest practice exam.

However, being laid up at home for a week, i've cruised enough pre med messageboards to figure out that every sitting of the mcat (be it april or august) and every test form seems to be the hardest of them all to the people that wrote it.

So on one hand, form F was crazy hard for everyone, so we'll have a pretty generous curve, or on the other hand, we landed an mcat with difficult passages but easy questions....

I for one, though i was on absolutely no sleep, didn't see (or catch) any trick questions....either because i was tired, or because there weren't that many.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that because we ended up with such advanced topics on our form...most of the answers probably came from the passage...which we probably found, but feel terrible because we didn't have to tap the wealth of knowledge we crammed into our heads.
So maybe, just maybe, our test form seemed hard but was actually easy.

do you guys want to try and figure out what was experimental? as long as we keep it general it should be allowed. I had FH. The passages I can remember are asteroid, flowers, painting cencorship, human rights, artificial intelligence, something about migratory groups, SIR DRAKE!(the worst passage ever), and I cant remember anything else. Dont know if that is good or bad.

whats shakin..
i wrote the mcat in ny, and i had form FL.
just wondering i had similar vr passages as the guy above, i cant completely remember as it was sometime ago, but was the sir drake passage the same as the spanish conquest psg? if so i rmemeber that one being messed...

also , are all "F" forms belled against each other, or just specific forms cause i seem to have the same topics of the above poster

I guess what i'm trying to say is that because we ended up with such advanced topics on our form...most of the answers probably came from the passage...which we probably found, but feel terrible because we didn't have to tap the wealth of knowledge we crammed into our heads.
So maybe, just maybe, our test form seemed hard but was actually easy.
I have had the same thoughts since the test, because on practice tests, there were occasional passages which I found very difficult and had little confidence about because the topic was unfamiliar, but when I checked my answers, found that I had actually done pretty well because I had successfully found the answers in the passage. I hope you're right and we're all pleasantly surprised by our scores.

Incidentally, I'm surprised by the number of people complaining about the Drake passage but not mentioning the passage on irony and literary criticism. The Drake passage was tedious, but it was just a matter of going back and finding the answers buried in the details of the passage. The irony passage was a beast--not only was the passage impenetrable and undecipherable, so were the questions! Didn't anyone else think that was the hardest one on verbal?

I have had the same thoughts since the test, because on practice tests, there were occasional passages which I found very difficult and had little confidence about because the topic was unfamiliar, but when I checked my answers, found that I had actually done pretty well because I had successfully found the answers in the passage. I hope you're right and we're all pleasantly surprised by our scores.

Incidentally, I'm surprised by the number of people complaining about the Drake passage but not mentioning the passage on irony and literary criticism. The Drake passage was tedious, but it was just a matter of going back and finding the answers buried in the details of the passage. The irony passage was a beast--not only was the passage impenetrable and undecipherable, so were the questions! Didn't anyone else think that was the hardest one on verbal?

what form did you have? I had FH and I dont remember a passage like that? Maybe it was experimental or maybe i simply dont remember it which is not a good sign.

FJ. One other thing I remember about that passage is that it used Dante's Inferno as an example.

I had form FJ also, and I definitely thought that that was one of the hardest passages. Also, with this verbal section, I felt more like I didn't have a clue what they were asking me in the questions. So I'm verryyy nervous...but good luck guys!

Another FJ taker here as well. I'll be back later to give my thoughts on this. But I will say this: the hardest passage on that exam was one of my bio ones. It involved DNA labelling and prostate cancer. It was the only passage I've ever seen (I've taken this thing four times now) where the passage took up one and a half pages (and a graph that I couldn't decipher to save my life).

i think part of it was to psyhologically psych you out. at first glance, i was gasping "omg!"

FJ here. And I think everyone has already expressed the way I felt. PS was OK - not impossible, but hard for me since the material covered were not my strong points. VR - was tough, but I made it through - this probably was due to the fact that I HAD to make up lost ground. BS - you gotta be kiding me?! That was the toughest set of questions I have ever encountered. So my feelings are also pretty mixed on my performance.

Another FJ taker here as well. I'll be back later to give my thoughts on this. But I will say this: the hardest passage on that exam was one of my bio ones. It involved DNA labelling and prostate cancer. It was the only passage I've ever seen (I've taken this thing four times now) where the passage took up one and a half pages (and a graph that I couldn't decipher to save my life).

Oh, definitely. I went back to that passage about 4 times and probably spent 30% of my total time in that section on it! And while I think I eventually got to the point where I understood the chart itself, I don't think I ever really grasped how to get the information the questions were asking for out of it.