NewYorkDoc

10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Hey guys, I failed Bio 101 last semester, how much is this going to kill me at the top schools? Anyone applied/accepted with a F before? I'm scared to death I've messed my chances up.

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Geez man don't you need a passing grade to graduate?

Retake the class, do the best you can do, and keep trying. End of story.

*I would be more worried about whether or not you can succeed during the rest of undergrad and in medical school with much tougher classes, rather than how bad this one grade will hurt your chances.

About the Ads

NewYorkDoc

10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
Im retaking the course this smester as we speak. My parents were getting a divorce last semester and it depressed me emotionally and unfortunetly my grades suffered.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Im retaking the course this smester as we speak. My parents were getting a divorce last semester and it depressed me emotionally and unfortunetly my grades suffered.

There's your reason. Just show that you can handle it and get a good grade this time. Was it a 0.0 or a 0.9 or what?

NewYorkDoc

10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
It was 0.0. Ive calculated, and if I get straight A's from now on (I'll be lucky) My GPA when I apply will be 3.6.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It was 0.0. Ive calculated, and if I get straight A's from now on (I'll be lucky) My GPA when I apply will be 3.6.

You definitely don't need to get a 3.6 to be a physician. Just try as hard as you possibly can and show that you can handle your classes. As has been said many many times before, the MCAT will be your savior if your GPA is pallitable.

Bill_252001

B+
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys, I failed Bio 101 last semester, how much is this going to kill me at the top schools? Anyone applied/accepted with a F before? I'm scared to death I've messed my chances up.

So you got an "F" in Bio 101. Enjoy, you still have 4.0 (Electronegativity) just not your GPA. :laugh:

dutchman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc

Retake the class and try to get an A. Some schools will allow you explain why you retook the class on your app. Then you can tell them about the divorce, which I expect they will understand.

NewYorkDoc

10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
Thank you guys for the input. I'm going to work as hard as I possibly can, perseverance is what being pre-med is about I suppose.

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you land a few more D's or F's, especially in basic pre-req science courses your problems wont be limited to just "top schools." Good luck getting into any schools with a GPA or BCPM that is damaged with a few F's or D's. Time to get to work buddy.

enviromed21

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Hi,
I understand how worried you are. Life happens. But what's done is done. Don't dwell-its a waste of your time and energy. If being a doctor is something your REALLY (!!!!) want then nothing can stop you. Refocus and use it as motivation to do better in the course when you retake it. Figure out why you failed, and fix it. Always, and I mean always have faith in your abilities. Keep your head up. When you retake the course don't just do better, but ACE that badboy. I wish you the best of luck. :)

BNSN

10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
Do well from here on out. Don't take more courses than you can handle. If you're still dealing with depression, lower your courseload.

Academics should be your #1 and #2 priority. Low MCAT/GPA are the hardest things to overcome in an application, so I suggest ignoring extracurriculars for a while.

Do well in classes, and everything else will follow.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Do well from here on out. Don't take more courses than you can handle. If you're still dealing with depression, lower your courseload.

Academics should be your #1 and #2 priority. Low MCAT/GPA are the hardest things to overcome in an application, so I suggest ignoring extracurriculars for a while.

Do well in classes, and everything else will follow.

I wouldn't say to ignore ECs entirely. Perhaps you can always do volunteering at a hospital or something once a week for a few hours with no detriment to your academics. Just limit the ECs to what you can easily handle.

Mubash'shirah

10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2006
The South
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Same thing happened to me last semester, except I failed Chemm II...not to mention my other science grades have been less than stellar. Really, I've realized that no one can give you an answer that will take the worry away. Just have to better and start making A's. You can't say for certain what your chances will be when you're ready to apply but you can do everything you can to solidify the rest of your grades, MCAT score, and ECs.
At least that's what I figure.

SurgeonUFO

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
"You definitely don't need to get a 3.6 to be a physician. Just try as hard as you possibly can and show that you can handle your classes. As has been said many many times before, the MCAT will be your savior if your GPA is pallitable."

Eh, I've got a 3.45 with a 36 MCAT (my school is tough, and there were a lot of non-science pre-reqs, my BCPM is actually higher than my overall -- it's a 3.53). I've only received one interview invite, from my state school, and been rejected just about everywhere else, waiting to hear on a couple schools, but not holding high hopes...

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
"You definitely don't need to get a 3.6 to be a physician. Just try as hard as you possibly can and show that you can handle your classes. As has been said many many times before, the MCAT will be your savior if your GPA is pallitable."

Eh, I've got a 3.45 with a 36 MCAT (my school is tough, and there were a lot of non-science pre-reqs, my BCPM is actually higher than my overall -- it's a 3.53). I've only received one interview invite, from my state school, and been rejected just about everywhere else, waiting to hear on a couple schools, but not holding high hopes...

man that bites, did you apply late? I'm a little surprised as thats a good mcat score.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]

I checked out your MDApps profile, and I don't think that it is your GPA that is keeping you from interviews. I think that had you applied earlier you would have gotten many more interview invites. Also, your EC's look to be a little on the skimpy side (unless there are more that you haven't listed).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.