F in OrganicI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHINYBRAIN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
F in orgo, D in physics..

anyone got into med school with such grades??

Members don't see this ad.

You basically need to get straight A's for the rest of college, but yes, it has happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
D orgo 2 the first time around and C- Phys 1 were my two lowest grades and I still got in. Would recommend getting as many A's as possible from now on.

Retake those, ace the rest, apply DO

you need at least C's in your pre-req's. retake 'em.

Don't worry, most schools allow you to retake courses if it was the first time you earned a no pass with out academic renewal paperwork.

Just retake the class, but make sure 100% that you not earn anything else other than an A. You might have to reduce your course load for one semester so that you can focus on these 2 classes alone.

I know plenty of doctors that had to retake D or F classes, it happens. Medschool wants well rounded people with life experience and passion, NOT quantitative robots treating the whole collegiate experience as a checklist.

Good luck

It was not a swipe at DO programs or a comment on how he'll do in the future.... just saying that DO schools take the higher grade instead of averaging an F with the retake grade

I did...with a nobel prize in medicine, a Pulitzer prize for journalism, authored 7 Science/Nature articles, got A+s the rest of my college career, scored a 45 on the MCAT, was a URM, and was an instate resident for Texas. =]

So yeah, its possible.

it might be possible but seriously dude you need to show more commitment to your studies.

You can start going to college at a different university to start over and try to get straight As.

Just kidding, I would retake the classes.

I had more than one F on my undergrad transcript, one of them in organic chemistry. I have had multiple interviews this cycle and was just accepted to an American MD school. Still waiting on the others. My point is, it's possible. Just have a good reason for failing the course. Talk about what you have learned/how you have grown since then/as a result of failing. This is part of why the essay is so important and why interviews matter. Do well in other classes, study long and hard for the MCAT and you'll make it. Though it might take you a couple of tries. I've already tried to get in once.