F.s.u

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Commodore2, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Has anybody heard if Florida State is interviewing yet. I cant find any threads that say anything and I dont see it on the interviewfeedback thing on this webpage.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SubSpring

SubSpring Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i don't think FSU has a med school?

maybe im wrong

4. There definitely is a medical school there. I applied and am waiting on any news.

5. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    FSU does have a med school now, that is 3 years old and just recently gained provisional accreditation. I would have to imagine that they have started to interview because its December already, but I did not apply there so I really don't know for sure. They do have a small class to fill, less than 40 I think, so maybe their interview season does not last very long.

6. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Commodore, are you a Florida resident? Because I think they are only provisionally able to accept Florida residents, thats why they were granted the chance to open a medical school, to provide Florida residents with more opportunities to enter the field, since Florida has only 3 schools, only 2 state schools, before they opened up FSUCOM.

7. Ditwee

Ditwee Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys and gals,

As a student at FSU COM I can tell you that interviews began in October They extended the application deadline (I think they are still accepting applications) and will continue to interview through the spring. I think Florida residency is a requirement.

Good luck to you all!

P.S. They intend to accept approximately 50 students (5 of those students were chosen last year and are part of a Bridge program).

8. Ditwee, i noticed that the start of classes for FSU COM is May 12. Why do they have you start so soon. Does this mean that if i had plans for this summer (like having a job and traveling) that I wont be able to do them. Do you know also if they have a defferment program where i could get accepted this year and then not matriculate until next year. Thanks.

9. Ditwee

Ditwee Member
    7+ Year Member

There is no way to get out of starting early. That is part of the curriculum---the first semester (summer) you study Gross Anatomy, Radiology and Embryology. You also have a course in Doctoring. Then you have a one month break and start back in August when most schools are beginning. At first, most people are a little frustrated with this set up. But after having gone through it, I don't know one person in our class who would rather the conventional Fall/Spring for the first year. It made our first Fall semester or medical school so much more manageable (you have less credit hours because they are spread between summer and fall) . It is really great to be able to focus on Gross Anatomy without having to study so many other courses to keep up with. It is an intense summer, though. The summer session is only 10 weeks long. But, I wouldn't do it any other way. As for deferment, I know of one student in the second year class (as of now, the new medical school only has 70 students: 30 second years and 40 first years) who was allowed to defer his acceptance for one year. If the idea of a school where competition is nearly non-existent, you know all your peers, you communicate with your professors on a personal level, and the technology is top in the country (wireless internet, each student given a new laptop and PDA for research/patient entry), this is the place for you. Good luck with everything!

10. Do you know how much the tuition for FSU is going to be for this year. Also, is there a bunch of hospital's in the local area where you guys work at or will you have to travel around the state in your 3rd and 4th years.

11. Ditwee

Ditwee Member
    7+ Year Member

Tuition this year is around $12,500, I believe. You will immediately begin working with preceptors within the area who work in hospitals, family practices, and even at the student health center. There is a lot of clinical training from the get-go. During 3rd and 4th year, you will either stay in Tallahassee or elect to move to Pensacola or Orlando. Each site has many participating hospitals and medical practices and regional campuses are currently being built. By the time your class matriculates, you may also have the option of working in hospitals in Jacksonville, but that is still up in the air. FSUCOM's approach is that of a community-based medical school rather than the traditional teaching hospital model. Hope that helps!