F/U to why every1 hates prime care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question to all of those who have been, or are currently in primary care. I would like to hear from the experienced folks out there. How long have you been in practice? Do you enjoy it or regret it? How do you run your practice? How much do you make (sorry, I hate this question)? What does the future hold for primary care? What advice would you give to those who are considering it (please don't comment unless you actually have been in a primary care practice).

Thanks PCN

Members don't see this ad.

Completed FP residency in '85. Worked off NHSC obligation for 3 yr in private practice, did a year of ER, worked for HMO for 5 yr, back to ER for a year (good reasons for all this), back to HMO for 1.5 yr, with a group for 1 yr, then back to salaried position for 6 yr with vertically integrated health care group. Held admin positions along the way, got an MBA in all that. So, have seen about all of it, though have never been my own boss with my own $$ on the line. Now have started Pathology residency and no regrets. All the frustrations you read about on these forums I have experienced-they are real and they are significant. Topped out at about 145K-was a production-based salaried position. As to the future, who knows? I am somewhat pessimistic, but there will always be spots for talented, motivated family docs, though maybe not at historic reimbursement levels. I worked with some docs fresh out of residency (< 5 yr) and even they were beginning to get jaded. However, if you really want to do it, and understand the negatives, and realize there are many positives, go for it. Feel free to PM me if any further questions.