F1 Visa for DDS for international dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prudent Racer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do US give student visa(F1) for studying DDS for international dentist? As after studying DDS the international dentist will want to settle in US. I heard that if student has any immigrant motive then the embassy don't issue F1 visa. So after lot of hard work like NBDE, Bench test, interview if they don't give student visa what one will do? Please share your experience and story....your comments means a lot to us

Members don't see this ad.

Do US give student visa(F1) for studying DDS for international dentist? As after studying DDS the international dentist will want to settle in US. I heard that if student has any immigrant motive then the embassy don't issue F1 visa. So after lot of hard work like NBDE, Bench test, interview if they don't give student visa what one will do? Please share your experience and story....your comments means a lot to us

This is one very complicated issue that can bring tons of discussion... Everyone that does apply for F1 visa knows that by nature it is a Nonimmigrant one, and it does blow my mind that one of the topics of the application for this visa you have to describe your non immigration intention... Well anyway, if there's a whole bunch of grays areas on the legislation and people can take advantage of it so be it.

There are plenty of schools that accept students on F1 visas for IDP programs, and I've read on several threads that explain your options after graduation. How is that working for these people I just don't know, but it is obvious that it works somehow. =/

There is no other way of joining any IDP courses other than F1 visa, You may find residencies which accept students on J1 or H1b. Lets say you join a DDS or DMD IDP course, you will be only writing your NBDE part2 exam and licence exams in 4th year of DDS. You will have one year OPT period in which you have to find a job , the employer will file a H1B for you. The H1B visa is a lottery system, in worst case your application may not be picked up for H1B, in such a case you you may join a residency or as a doctor in a community center or university. If you join a community or university( non profit institutes) you will be eligible for H1B under nonquota program, thereby you will be give a H1B visa immediately.

As said by Hope4 there are few grey areas in the immigration laws which you can exploit. All the best with admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Hope4 and sidDu for your reply. I want to ask one more thing ,during visa interview for F1 visa for DDS ,how much money I have to show in my account as I plan to apply for private loan(I have cosigner there). Someone told me that if I go first for MPH then join DDS the visa process become easier.Is it true? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks Hope4 and sidDu for your reply. I want to ask one more thing ,during visa interview for F1 visa for DDS ,how much money I have to show in my account as I plan to apply for private loan(I have cosigner there). Someone told me that if I go first for MPH then join DDS the visa process become easier.Is it true? Thanks in advance.
you have to show one year tuition plus living in form of liquid bank balanace.fixed deposits are also okay. get a loan from usa with usa citizen as cosigner, but do not display this loan in visa interview. just telll you have ample amount in your home country itself.You have a long way to go till that F1 for dds. MPH F1 is not easy nor difficult.its just luck , you may or may not get it. But if you get DDS you will mostly get your F1.