Fa 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apps-suck

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if there are significant improvements over the 2008? are most people buying the new one even if they have an older edition?

Members don't see this ad.

Well - since I have a brand new copy in hand, I would say......

Who knows??? It's not even out yet to make that call. BUT, since its about 60-70 pages longer...I'd assume they've added things to it. And since what was added is probably from this past year.....yeah, I'd say its worth it.

Some will disagree.

If it makes you sleep better at night, buy the book.

End of thread :laugh:

I find it interesting that the FA people seem to keep adding so many pages to the book every year. At some point it's not going to be such a high-yield resource anymore b/c it's going to be long enough to be a textbook....

What could change THAT much from the last 2 editions of FA? Can medicine or little tiny details change that much so as to necessitate a "new" edition every year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I think it's not so much that they're changing info, more that they're adding info, probably based on feedback from students who got stuff on their tests that wasn't in FA.

^^ Right, but as you said, if they keep adding info, it's going to be as long as a textbook; which defeats the purpose of having a "concise" high-yield book.

w/e, I'll probably end up buying it anyway. =-/

I've already bought FA 2008 and have been using it throughout 2nd year. For me I plan on just taking a look at FA 2009 (maybe at the library or at the book store) and just adding any info into my book that isn't in there. I think its much better to use what you are used too. Plus the info that you get from doing UW questions probably makes up for whatever FA 2009 might have...but I would still at least look at the new one...not buy it.

If you haven't bought any FA books yet, then I would probably get 2009.

Well - since I have a brand new copy in hand, I would say......

Who knows??? It's not even out yet to make that call. BUT, since its about 60-70 pages longer...I'd assume they've added things to it. And since what was added is probably from this past year.....yeah, I'd say its worth it.

Some will disagree.

If it makes you sleep better at night, buy the book.

End of thread :laugh:

How do you have one in your hand? :-x

Also (I was just thinking), another advantage of using the previous year's book is that the errata will be complete so you don't have to worry about typos or messed up facts.

I'd like to agree, but 60 pages of FA is actually a lot. If FA's an outline of what you have to know, adding nearly 10% to the bulk of an outline seems like reason enough to buy the book to me. Especially when majority of it's probably based on feedback from the past year.

I believe that there is only 8 more pages of new content that you actually study, not 60 more pages of content in the 2009 version compared to the 2008 version.

2008 version real content that you actually study: 62-487 = 425 pages
2009 (from Amazon table of contents) 59-492 = 433 pages of content

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/007...84-2691141-2439435?ie=UTF8&p=S006#reader-link

you can make your own judgement of how important those 8 pages are

good luck everyone and happy holidays

I've talked to Tao Le (author of FA)
and he told me that if you alreadt bought 2008 don't need to buy 2009. but if you don't have one it's better to go for 2009

and he told me that if you alreadt bought 2008 don't need to buy 2009. but if you don't have one it's better to go for 2009

I refuse to believe that someone who markets a product for a living actually advised a potential customer NOT to buy the newest version of said product, regardless of whether or not it's any different from the previous edition.

i just spoke to Vikas Bhushan
he says buy 2009 regardless
and that Tao Le is his bitch

:laugh:

also from looking in the "surprise me" part of the preview for the book, they've seem to added mri images to certain areas, like pancreatic adenocarcinoma, which is helpful.

To the OP if you haven't really written in your 2008 FA or used it much, I suggest you get the new one.

Last edited: