• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

MDpride

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
How many of u r using FA( First-Aid) in ur first year studies?

How helpful y'll find it?

Blackbrim

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I do. Its very good but not a standalone learning resource. FA highlights what is most important and is good review of basics.

kryptik

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Used it for quick review right before tests and it helped a lot...

About the Ads

phospho

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Columbus, OH
Status
Medical Student
sorry if this is a stupid question, but i thought that "FA" only covered USMLE 1, and i thought that the stuff that USMLE 1 tested was covered only in M2 ? So why would you need/use FA in M1?

amidoinitrite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Houston, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]
sorry if this is a stupid question, but i thought that "FA" only covered USMLE 1, and i thought that the stuff that USMLE 1 tested was covered only in M2 ? So why would you need/use FA in M1?

To my understanding there is some biochemistry/anatomy on USMLE 1 which is covered in the first-aid book, which can be used to study for the biochem/anatomy shelf exams(NBME) when you finish the course--or even regular final exams if you don't take the NBME ones.

kryptik

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
there is also physio which is covered in M1 in my school so FA is very handy for final review and it has good mnemonics and memory aids.

phospho

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Columbus, OH
Status
Medical Student
To my understanding there is some biochemistry/anatomy on USMLE 1 which is covered in the first-aid book, which can be used to study for the biochem/anatomy shelf exams(NBME) when you finish the course--or even regular final exams if you don't take the NBME ones.
there is also physio which is covered in M1 in my school so FA is very handy for final review and it has good mnemonics and memory aids.
Thank you for the replies, that makes a lot of sense... :)

coldweatherblue

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
Status
Medical Student
FA is too sparse for reviewing for in-house exams, so I usually use BRS + syllabus for those.

I took FA home over break and read a few hours in the plane (haven't touched it since though...). We use a systems-based curriculum and reviewing the CV and respiratory chapters in FA was a good review. The biochem section was good reading as well. I was pretty surprised at how much stuff in FA I recognized from class after only 1 semester of med school. I know in MSII we'll get all that again from a different perspective, but it reassured me that the stuff they're teaching us is, in fact, stuff that will be on boards. :cool:

About the Ads