FA pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is memorizing FA pharm enough????? is it important to memorize why side effects happen or is it sufficient to just memorize the side effects?

Members don't see this ad.

Just focus on distinct/unique side effects of commonly used drugs, such as cough caused by ACEIs and myopathy caused by antihyperlipidemias. Forget about the minor side effects of minor drugs.

I think FA Pharm could be enough only if you can memorize every word on it. :cool:

According to Goljan, you have to understand the mechanisms. Hopefully Jeebus will comment.

I imagine memorizing side effects would be easier if you understood the mechanisms...and mechanisms are always testable.

First Aid does list excessive side effects though. If it causes something nonspecific like dry mouth or GI upset you probably don't need to know that.

I imagine memorizing side effects would be easier if you understood the mechanisms...and mechanisms are always testable.

First Aid does list excessive side effects though. If it causes something nonspecific like dry mouth or GI upset you probably don't need to know that.

First aid is more than plenty for pharm. One thing I'd add on not knowing side effects like GI upset is that those minor and common side effects are probably more testable if they relate to the mechanism. 90% of the time GI upset is a meaningless SE for test purposes, but on a drug that blocks fat absorption for example it would be much more testable. Of course I guess if you know the mechanism then such a side effect would be easy to predict even without knowing it.